31 Bruises and Scars

FRIDAY

January the7th.

I'm in detention. Well not really detention seeing as I didn't do anything. I've been avoiding Holden since Alex and I got back from Florida. He found out about Alex and I when I went to his apartment and sure he took it okay but I just can't stand to see the pain on his face every time I see him.

It's raining and I feel that's fitting with the mood that I'm in. Too bad it's still freezing out. I'm shivering when I get up to Holdens apartment and I knock on the door. I look at the ring on my left hand and sigh.

Here goes nothing.

Holden opens the door and as soon as he sees it's me he grins, "Hi. Come in."

I try to force a smile and fail. Holden closes the door behind me, "You alright?"

I nod wrapping my arms around myself, "Yeah."

I move inside and into the living room. I stare out the window and see the rain slipping down the glass.

Holden puts his hand on my arm and I flinch. The bruises Alex gave me yesterday are still sore.

I turn my head slowly to see Holden scowl, "Did he hurt you?"

I shake my head, "No."

He runs a hand through his hair, "I'm not going to fight with you right now." He forces a smile, "So what did you have to tell me?"

He moves so that he's standing in front of me and pushes some hair behind my ear.

I look at my feet, "Can't we just talk for a second before I tell you?"

"Yeah, sure." He tugs on my lower arm away from my bruises and leads me to the couch.

"Do you want something to drink or anything?"

I shake my head, "No, I'm okay."

I uncross my arms and clasp both my hands between my thighs. I don't want him to know yet. And if he sees the ring he'll of course put two and two together.

I wonder for a brief second if I should have just taken it off. I shake that thought away. That would be wrong of me too do.

Holden sits down next to me and gives a small smile, "Loosen up you're making me nervous."

I move my right hand from between my legs and brush hair behind my ear. Holden reaches down and clasps my left hand between his own.

"What's wrong? Please tell me."

My stomach is in knots as he holds my left hand. I look away and he freezes. Then slowly moves his hand from over mine. He swallows roughly when he sees the ring, "This is what you had to tell me?" His voice is strained and I want to take his pain away.

I nod my head after a second and he stands up running a rough hand through his hair. His back is to me.

"When did he ask?"

I clear my throat before answering, "Five days ago."

"You should have told me over the phone. I mean.. I thought.."

"You thought what?" I ask curious.

Holden just shakes his head, "Forget what I thought. I can't believe you're doing this to yourself."

I twist the ring, "I love him, and I already told you that when he asked I was going to say yes."

"I was hoping you would change your mind." As he says this he turns and I see how hopeless he looks.