44. Bruises and Scars.

I shift uncomfortable. Aren't therapists offices supposed to be comforting?

Alexs hand feels heavy and out of place on my thigh. I stare at the clock on the wall, trying to not think about how this chair is making my bum go numb. Also trying to not think about how much I'd rather be with Holden.

The therapist Monica watches us over her glasses, and doesn't say anything. She just watches, I try to ignore her by watching the skinny red hand on the clock count off the seconds.

I watch it go around twice before she finally clears her throat making me jump, "Jumpy, I see." She mumbles to herself before writing something down.

I look over at Alex and he shrugs. She pushes her glasses onto her nose and sighs, "Don't do that."

"Don't do what?" Alex asks.

"Be secretive. This is an open space." She gestures to the whole room with her hands.

I'm tempted to look at Alex with wide eyes but I control my facial expression and frown at her.

"Now, how long have you two been dating?"

Alex smiles, "A little over two years when we got engaged."

"Oh, so you're engaged. I see." She jots something onto her paper and I frown deeper.

"So when did that happen?"

"A few months ago." He says.

"And why do young?" Monica asks still writing.

Alex grins, "Because it was love at first sight for both of us, we started dating less than a week after she came to my school."

"What grade was that?" Monica asks still writing.

"Sophomore." Alex answers.

She nods and purses her lips, "Why don't you let Scarlete answer a few."

My cheeks blush red and Alex frowns, "Oh okay."

"Was it really love at first sight for both of you?"

I shrug, "Yeah."

"So why are you guys here?"

I shift in my seat and Alexs hand squeezes my thigh lightly, "Is it okay if I answer that one?" Alex asks.

Monica leans back, "Sure, but I still want to hear from Scarlete."

He looks over at me and moves his hand from my thigh to my hand, "About three months or so after we started dating I.." Alex trails off and takes a deep breathe, "I hit her."

Monica raises an eyebrow and writes something else down, "Was that the only time?"

Alex takes his hand from mine and runs both of them through his hair, "No."

"Have you done more then hitting?"

He nods and covers his face with his hands, "Yes."

She nods her head and writes something else down. I want to rip that clip board out of her hand and beat it over her head.

"How often?"

Alex takes another deep breathe and leans back. I can tell that this is killing him, admitting to someone other than me that he hurts me. What would he do if he found out someone else already knows?

"It depends, sometimes it's everyday, and sometimes it's every few weeks."

I flinch at him admitting this. Wondering if all the times he's hit me is racing back to him like it is to me.