Chapter 3 ~Living Life

It was around 4 when I went to the bathroom. I opened the door of our room and walked calmly through the halls. A Crisis Worker walked past me, eying me up and down. I quickened my pace and he walked down another hall.

Yes, you are allowed to go in the halls, but you can still get in trouble if you seem sketchy. I guess because you could be going to kill someone that they seem suspicious. It's happened before.

I turned right down another hallway and found the girls bathroom. A stick figure wearing a triangle dress was mounted on the dark tan door. My hand was on the metal handle when I heard someone clearing their throat behind me. My body froze as the person whispered.

"Hey Melody" they said, sending shivers down my back. The voice was familiar. It was irish.

It was Niall.

I turned around and looked at him. He was smiling a sweet smile which made me relax.

"Hey Niall!" I said, happy to see him again. He's way more attractive than anyone Ive seen here. He stared at me intently.

"How can you see me?" He asked, still with that warm smile on his face. I gave him a quizzical look, but then soon realized what he meant.

Niall's a ghost. That would explain how he disappeared in the lunch hall. I've seen ghosts in the Mad House before, usually they are people who get cut off. People who died because they weren't worth saving, or they broke the rules. Why was Niall dead?

"How did you die?" I asked ignoring his question. His smile left his face.

"I was hopeless." He said, and I nodded my head once. I went to grab his shoulder for comfort, but my hand went right through him. I frowned, brining back his smile.

"Sorry, can't touch me." He shrugged. Then he wiggled his eyebrows, making me laugh.

The same Crisis Worker who was eying me weirdly minutes before turned down this hall.

"I'll have to talk to you later." I said silently to Niall. He nodded his head and I waved goodbye. Niall vanished into thin air and I frowned. Why can't he be real? There's something about him that I find intriguing.

The Crisis Worker was now walking in front of me. He gave me a questioning look, stopping in front of me. "Are you alright miss?" He asked. I nodded my head and awkwardly turned, opening the door and walking into the bathroom.

I'm an idiot. He saw me laughing at nothing. Well, it's probably not a first for him. Plenty of people here have 'imaginary friends'.

I did my business and walked out back into the hallway. I found my way back to room 8A and found Rachel playing with her hair on her bed.

"Hey Rach." I said laying on my own bed. I relaxed my head on the soft pillow and turned my body to face her, curling into a ball.

"Hey, what took you so long?" She asked. I glanced over at her. She stared at me intently, waiting for me to explain. Should I tell her about Niall?

"I was just talking to someone." I said. I'm not lying. Just not telling the whole truth.

"To who?" She asked more interested. I gave in. It wouldn't matter if I told her anyways, I don't see the harm in it.

"Niall, he's a ghost." I replied. She laughed at me.

"I told you, there aren't any ghosts!" She laughed. Oh how ironic.

"And I told you there aren't any butterflies!" I shot back. This made her look hurt.

"Yes there are!" She defended. Rachel is so stubborn. I didn't even bother fighting with her, so I just put my hands up in surrender and picked up my journal off the nightstand. They give everyone a journal and a pen so we don't get too terribly bored, but most of the time I'm dying of boredom. There's nothing to do.