1523 Eltham Palace (Edited)

The King and court move to Eltham Palace, for it is said the King favors this palace over all others. I had wanted to sail over the river Thames and explore the scenery by barge, but the cold harsh winter has set in, freezing the river over. Instead, I find myself once again in a rickety carriage, accompanied by Joan and other ladies of the court. We are all wrapped up in fur-lined cloaks to ward off the cold breeze which has us all shivering.

The journey to Eltham Palace is relatively quick, its distance not too far from Whitehall. The Palace is beautiful to behold, nestled amongst frost-covered grounds. The stone buildings loom high, hiding the river which normally flows behind it. Everyone smiles when our carriage pulls up in front of the grand palace.

As soon as we step outside of the carriage, we are met with the hustle and bustle of a court in celebration. The nobles retire to their rooms, rushing to get away from the cold. The servants dart in and out of the palace as they organize and prepare everyone's belongings. Everyone who is anyone has made their way here, in preparation for the turning of the New Year.

I feel a quick tap on my shoulder. Spinning around, I come face to face with a smiling Anne. We embrace each other fondly. "I have been sent to show you to your chambers," she says excitedly.

I grab my sister's hand as we follow Anne into the palace. "It is unusual to have a Lady show us to our chambers. Where are the servants?" I ask, amused.

She spins on her heels, laughing. "All of you will be staying in the Howard apartments over winter. My father has agreed; it seems more appropriate for everyone to stay in the same place during this brief sojourn." She says while looking at Joan.

My sister stares blatantly at Anne. "It did not bother the Howards whether we were clustered in the same area at Whitehall. Why is it only appropriate now?" She asks.

Anne smiles at Joan's straight talk. "That is something we must not speak of here. Follow me, and we will speak in the privacy of our chambers," Anne replies.

The chambers are bigger than the ones we were placed in at Whitehall. The Howards are a noble and respected family and it shows in their living quarters. The communal living space is grand and most of the furnishings have already been brought in. There are plenty of adjoining rooms, and I can only guess that the King's own chambers are not far away.

Anne points at one room. "This is my chamber." She walks across to the next door. "This will be your chamber, both of yours." She looks at Joan pointedly.

Joan keeps her face emotionless but I can see the fire of anger burning beneath the surface.

Her husband would not be sharing her bed here either, and everyone knew.

Anne turns her attention on to me. "Mary is with child. We have to stick together now more than ever, as there will be many who are not happy with this news."

I can not help but gasp. "And who is the father? The Kings?" I ask.

She smiles and nods her head. "For certain."

"Are you sure it is not Mary's husband's?" My sister asks.

"She has not been with her husband in months. She was immensely careful, too. She ensured that if there was any issue about the pregnancy, it would be the King's, not her husband's," she says.

"Why are you telling us this news?" she asks Anne.

"For we are a family in more than one sense. You are a Howard now, Joan, and your sister has been put on the same path as me," she replies.