1524 Late Autumn II (QE)

"Henry," I say curtsying.

In our own company, we have become accustomed to using our names without the doldrum of titles, but I still honor him with my curtsey in a way of greeting and respect.

"Kat." He says pleasantly his voice soft, almost endearing.

I smile and raise myself, a brief thought crossing my mind. Does he also call his wife Kat, or is this a term he uses for my ears only. I just as quickly brush it aside. I am with him this night, in his living quarters - not her.

He is a majestic King, me, a pagan lady, but together in these rooms, he becomes a man of simple desires and me a young woman eager to see to his happiness, no matter my past affiliations.

I walk to the back of his grand chair, wrapping my arms around him, I kiss him gently on the cheek. He leans back into my embrace relaxing in the moment. I know his emotions and I let him lead me on to the next step, so I do not appear too chaste, even though, I feel that is what I have become with him.

He turns towards me, our lips meet. His touch is soft and kind today, no hungry longing and I wonder if, perhaps, I have misjudged my position. He breaks away from me, and he retains his normal boyish grin.

"Are you well, Kat?" He asks.

"Perfectly well," I reply although no longer certain in my answer.

He moves me onto his lap, his strong legs support me easily. A favorite comfort of his. I had found it far too close when our liaison began, but now the closeness of his body sends my heart thudding. I can feel the hard panels of his chest and his sweet breath close to my neck.

"You wished for my presence?" I ask looking down. I needed to break the trance if only for a moment or two, for I am certain I would never know my fate, blowing it all to the wind to have him here and now.

"I am always wishing your presence." He replies smoothly, leaning in for another kiss.

I smile at his swiftness, and can not help but feel I am easily led. A lamb to the slaughter under his experienced words.

"And I wish you were always in mine," I reply simply.

I turn away from him to stare into the hearth, I always flush when talking to him about such matters. I am not attuned to bearing them so easily, so loud. At least not without wine. He reads my thoughts, for he lifts me off his lap gently and makes his way over to pour me some. He hands me the goblet knowing that the bitter liquid loosened my fear, making me bold. I take a sip gratefully.

"Are you well yourself?" I ask taking in his tired eyes and unusually sluggish aura.

"Politics." He grimaced while throwing himself back into his chair, gesturing for me to take a seat opposite him. "I am being berated by the French, the Spanish, and Wolsey." He says frustratingly.

I too grimace at the name. Anne had forewarned me that the man was dangerous, with a scrupulous nature. She did not trust him and blamed him for her past entanglement going awry. On her urging, I had kept my distance, but it was clear even to me that he has positioned himself closely to the King, and ruled the country in his stead.

Henry looks across at me, as if, he has only just remembered my French nationality. "It is politics." I smile. "I have no desire to involve myself or sway your course."

His shoulders visibly relax. Did he think for one second I was sent for any other purpose but lust? It catches me off guard, even here in privacy, he was alert for manipulators and betrayers. I suppose his wife would have used this time to sway him towards Spanish benefits and he is expecting me to do the same for the French.

His eyes light up when he realizes I have no plans to lengthen the conversation. "How do you find Sir Compton?" He asks.

"He is one of your closest companions?" I phrase questingly.

He smirks at my response. "Yes, he is."

I have to think of the man to recall his face clearly. I remember him to be attractive in a ruggish sort of way. Dull blonde locks, a masculine jaw, built strong like the rest of them. Yet, he was a lively one, always a drink in his hand and a jest at his lips.

"I have little knowledge of the man," I say softly. "But he has your favor, so he must be a character." I laugh.

He joins in with my laughter. "He has his moments. He has just been gifted a male heir." He says almost bitterly.

"He must be in the best of moods then," I reply unsure what to say.

"It has been marred by the passing of his wife, Mistress Hastings. She passed after childbirth." He says solemnly.

My brow crinkles at his words. The most dangerous task for a woman to partake in, and one that we all must do at some point. Mary's labor was enough to put me off, and hers ended well with both mother and baby safe.

"He will be looking for a new wife, once the mourning period is complete." He says with a grin, and it dawns on me, this is it, this is who he proposes I should marry. "He has given his consent if you are happy with the match?" He asks.

I bring his image to my mind again. He was not bad to look upon and I would be in Henry's arms most of the time. Yet, afterward, would I be happy to fall into his bed? It could be worse.

"I would need permission and a dowry," I say at last.

"I am the King of England. I give my blessing and I already have a dowry in mind." He states.

I raise my eyebrow at him. It was my mother and father whose permission I needed and they were the ones who would supply my dowry, not him. He laughs at my face.

"I am sure they will agree, it is a good match, Kat. He is a knight, and as a way of securing you I shall grant him a new position, perhaps, Treasurer of the Exchequer?" He quips.

I smile at his self-assured nature, my mother would have agreed even for a servant, if it meant it could get me into the Kings bed. My father, I was not sure about, he had ambition. If the King willed it, and they got off free without having to pay a single coin for my dowry, well then they could have no objections.

"He already has an heir." I pout.

"O, sweet, Kat. He does, but soon you will be carrying a child by me, he will be appraised by all and important more so." He says passionately.

The taste of mint comes to the back of my mind. It was a short folly and I had stopped taking the drink when my feelings changed. No harm done, no carnal knowledge had been shared, but there was guilt. Back then I would have denied him - what he sought after - without a second glance.

Now, with his excitement before me, I wished that I could secure for him what he desired most. Male children. He has already gifted Fitzroy with his name, royal care, and purse strings. So my son would not be without, and with Queen Katherine all dried up and prophecy on my side, I could bare a future successor. Queen mother to a King of England. Although I do not feel like I am particularly ambitious, it has a ring to it which sings to my ears.

"Do you wish it?" I ask of Henry.

I do not want to sound to keen at the idea, but it would allow us both to have the pleasure we seek.

"I wish it so, Kat." He says.

"Then so be it. If it allows me to be with you in all ways then I agree." I say flushed with the idea. "When?" I ask.

"Not long, Kat. I promise."

That night I returned to my own bed chambers with a bounce to my step. We did nothing more than the usual play but the end was in sight, with a glorious future ahead. I slept easily knowing everything was on a smooth course and nothing would ruin this moment or those to come.