1524 winter III (QE)

"Mistress Champernowne."

"Sir Compton," I say meekly.

My hand tightens on Anne's arm, my fingers gripping her sleeves. Sir Compton offers me his arm and I reluctantly let go of my lifeline accepting his gesture. I all of a sudden feel knee-shaking nerves, this is the man who is going to be my husband.

"I will have her returned to you shortly, Mistress Boylen." He says joyfully taking in Anne's curious face.

He ushers me away from our social circle, all the while looking for a more solitary spot. It is a packed court and he struggles to find a quiet area to converse -without nosey courtiers listening into our words - so instead we walk around the great hall at a measured pace, skilfully avoiding the cluster of nobles.

"How do you feel about becoming my wife?" He asks bluntly, straight to the point.

I keep my gaze averted for I know he will find no longing in my eyes, he will know I am not besotted with the idea. My memory did ring true, he is a handsome man, tall, and well built, but I do not know the man and compared to Henry he comes up short.

"Probably the same way you feel about me becoming your wife." I say without thought.

I cringe on the inside. I have been spending too much time with Anne, her jests, and blunt assessments are wearing off on me. Laughter spurts forth from William and I instantly relax, I was not expecting amusement from such a statement and find I am relieved to find he has a sense of humour.

"I think you may be right. It may have been thrust upon us but I would like to see this partnership work, Mistress Champernowne." He says still with a grin on his face.

"I hope for the same. This union will bind us for the rest of our lives." I reply softly.

"I know you are to be the King's mistress but when it is all said and done, I hope that we can have a family of our own. I am not too old for it." He smirks.

I laugh at his straightness, and look upon my betrothed with renewed interest. Small lines had begun to mark his worn skin and although a good deal older than me, the effect only made him appear more masculine, more experienced. He had so far appeared good willed and honest, not the brigardish man I had feared. He was at least saying all the right words.

"Did Henry tell you to be so kind towards me?" I ask.

"I would not be rude to someone so precious to the King, who would dare?" He jests, "It is like you say, it is a long union and I would like to spend it in happiness, not in dislike for each other."

"Then Sir Compton, we have found agreeable terms," I say.

He hands me back to an impatiently waiting Anne. Our first conversation was pleasant enough, but he had many friends in court who he had not seen in several months, and whose attention he wished to seek. We said gracious goodbyes, and I could not hide the tell-tale smile of relief which is visible to all.

Anne stares at me, her lip raised in a half-smug impression, and I know she wants details, every detail.

"He said he thought it prudent to seek me out first, and to introduce himself." I say before she even asks out loud the questions that I know are bubbling under the surface.

"Cheek of him, very improper. He should have sought out your brother or ward to perform the introductions, not stride up by himself." She says with an air of piety, which sounds ridiculous coming from Anne.

"O, please. There is a court full of people watching, hardly lude or improper." I reply.

She laughs knowing the truth of my words, but since Percy, she has vowed to follow the rules of courtship, and often worries about the appearance of ones virtue to others.

"They will all think the same as I, it will be the main gossip for some time." She eyes the on-looking crowd, who do not even have the decency to turn their gaze.

"Let them gossip, this is about the only proper arrangement about the whole entanglement. At least now I will be a married woman." I say.

"At least you keep them all entertained." She smirks "Better to be in all their thoughts your name on their wagging tongues than to be forgotten or overlooked." She says.

I look at Anne and all the courtiers surrounding us prying for her attention. "You are not overlooked," I say softly.

"Next to you, I am but a shadow." She replies quietly.

(Sorry short chapter just a natural break before I ran with my next chapter) 

Next Chapter will be off a slightly mature content :)