1523 Godinton House (Edited)

It is beautiful.

Godinton House is situated among kept grounds, which stretch vast in every direction. Large vibrant green hedges guide us towards the main entrance and courtyard, which are clear to see from a distance. The estate is well-kept and made of sturdy stone. I can already see it is is made for the purpose of leisure, rather than the defense of war.

Frustrated of walking at such a measured pace, I kick my horse into a canter. "Race, you," I shout.

I pass the Knight, who mumbles something in my direction. He follows me down the hill at such a slow pace, his head cocked to the side in disapproval.

I turn and see my sister, who is already running out of the door, down the steps to greet me. The knight reaches my horse and dismounts smoothly.

"Joan!" I squeal, as he helps me off my horse and onto the ground, his hands briefly touching my body.

Joan's lithe figure runs across the stone courtyard, her pretty blue dress swaying. "Kitty Kat!" She squeals as she flings herself into my embrace. "We were starting to get worried— thought you may have changed your mind."

I laugh. "You know mother. I could not have stayed in France, even if I wished to." I say it humorously, despite the sadness behind it all. "Please, dear sister, no Kitty Kat in public either. You will make me blush in embarrassment. "

"We are not in public, Kitty Kat. It is just family here." She says with a knowing smile across her face.

I blush again, my gaze can not help but stray towards my knight. Joan immediately notices and bursts forth in another fit of laughter. "You wasted no time in finding an admirer." She whispers, for my ears only.

My sister's husband reaches the end of the courtyard and embraces me in greeting."Dear sister, Joan has been very excited about your arrival to England. I am glad you have arrived safe and sound."

"Thank you, Lord Howard. I have been very excited in anticipation of seeing Joan as well." I say politely.

"You are always welcome, Lady Katherine." He says before kissing my hand.

He makes his way over to the knight, who is standing among the horses, patting them fondly. "Thank you for bringing her safely to us, John." He clasps his arm.

"That man is young Master Ashley. He and my husband are very fond of each other. He is an excellent steward, brilliant with horses too,"she whispers to me.

"He must be here often, then?" I ask hopefully.

"He is my husband's man; he will follow him wherever he goes," she replies.

"He said he was getting paid in coin for my safe deliverance. He made it sound like a chore," I say.

"No coin. He knew how special you were to me. He insisted on returning you safely to me, and he did." She grins. "Albeit a little late."

I look back towards Master Ashley, pondering about what Joan had said. Suddenly she pulls me into a linking embrace, dragging me towards her house. "The house is very fine, Kat. You will love it here," my sister digresses.

A young man in livery stands at the door in attendance as we pass through. "My sister has been most modest about her husband's looks." I whisper quietly to Joan, who elbows me in the ribs upon hearing my comment. "Where might our dear brother Philip be?" I ask as Joan ushers me inside the house.

"At court, making a fool out of himself, as per usual. He has missed you, although he will deny it if you ask." Joan replies with mirth.

"Then why is he not here to greet me?" I pout.

"Because our brother finds it very hard to pull himself away from the court and his admirers." She starts laughing. "He's trapped by English devils."