1524 Winter II (QE)

I am presented with gifts, by family and friends, and in turn return them. I am surprised by the amount of coloured fabric and clusters of gems I have received from those whose names I hardly know, but are wishing my favour.

I feel spoilt, but is nothing compared to that of the King. Henry is the centre of attention, he always is, but those who do not hold permeant residence have joined us at this festive time. More faces, families, and old friends for him to enjoy. His presence is split between us all and he lick's up the attention like a cat with cream.

He has a youthful exuberance which he is using on drink, gambling, and male companionship. I look upon the Queens ladies, some of them are no longer bitter towards me, in fact, most are being over friendly. They are either to use to my status or have realised that the King is the gift giver not their pious Queen. Their attention makes me cringe, for I know it, for what it really is, a courtly game and need for advancement.

I wish Anne was here she could always keep me out of arms reach, leading me in etiquette and conversation. As soon as the banquet is finished I make polite excuses and stroll over to Philip, interrupting his comical stance.

"Brother, I need your companionship." I state.

"O, Sister. My companionship?" He feigns looking around him. "You can have anyone's here." He laughs.

I pout at him. "I want yours," I say pleadingly.

"Are the Queens ladies not entertaining you enough?" He quips.

I grimace and lead him away from his onlookers. "Their tiresome and needy," I say quietly.

He just grins at me. "Surly not all of them, where is Mistress Boleyn? You two are attached at the hip."

"Sick. She got lucky." I joke.

We walk around the room conversing in small talk, taking in the grandeur of a court in spirit.

"Have you heard of my betrothal?" I finally ask.

"Of course, who do you think he discussed the matter with?" He states.

I blanch at his statement. "You discussed these matters with the King?" I ask shocked.

"You are my sister and he is my companion. He needed a bridge between him and our father to arrange it all. Once he knew you were not committed to anyone else in France, he had me write to him and seek approval." He states coolly.

"What was father's reaction?" I ask.

"Shrewd as always. He is ambitious enough to see the benefit in the match, and without a dowry to pay he cannot object. Mother might skin your hide though when she finds out. You will be an English lady and probably will not return to France." He says.

I ponder on his words. Mother had never been the sentimental sort when it came to her children. It would not upset her greatly if I did not return to France, as long as I achieved what she wanted from me in the meantime.

"What is your view on the matter?" I ask.

He swings me around to face him. "I know the true meaning behind this match, Kat. You have gained the highest position a lady can aspire too at this court. If you are happy, then so am I." He says seriously.

I embrace my brother fondly. "I am happy. At first, I was not too sure on the affection he had for me, but now I know, and I have fallen for him too." I say close to his ear.

"Do not fall to hard, Kat. He has a habit of moving on. I do not want to see you heart broken. You must go into this with the full knowledge that at some point his eyes will turn on to another." He says.