1524 Summer III (QE)

Mary has been sent away to her family home at Hever, while Anne stands at my side, newly admitted to English court, her short exile almost forgotten. She is thriving off the attention. Together we have attracted a circle of courtiers who smile at our every word and laugh with every quip we make. They hope to bask in the Kings favor by shadowing our own growing light.

Anne becomes a shining star in the notoriety of it all, she enjoys their attention and she can keep them entertained easily. I take a step back from it all, feeling uncomfortable at their constant presence. I leave Anne to speak freely to everyone while I watch, listen, and smile with the crowd. She is my protector in all of this, she helped her sister catch the King and now she will help me withstand, and endure his attentions, all the while keeping the eager courtiers back at some distance.

My stomach coils in knots, not the pleasant sensation that one gets when they are excited but the sensation that sometime soon, your food is going to come back up for all to see. I can still taste the potent mint concoction Anne had provided for me. It was slick and oily, sliding down my throat easily, but it had left a harsh taste which had made my eyes stream with water. 

She said the tincture would solve my worries about conceiving the King's child. Once consumed she had removed the vile hiding it out of sight, fearing the contents would be the death of us if found. I try to breathe lightly, scared that any who stand too close will guess the mint smell for what it truly is: a preventative.

"Try to relax, you are being watched." She whispers under her breath.

I know I am being watched, it is making my shoulders tense and teeth grit together in worry. Linking arms with me, Anne guides me around the large hall at a leisurely pace. Not one to be without entertainment for long she steers us towards a group of chatting courtiers, her brother George stands amongst them, savoring the attention like his sister.

 He sends a doting smile her way before turning his flashing grin on me. "Sweet sister. Mistress Champernowne, those sapphires are exquisite." He says while smirking.

"Now, now, George, do not make amusement at Kat's expense you will make her feel uncomfortable." She chides playfully.

"That was not my intention Anne, though they are hard to miss, made for royalty." He whispers just for the two of us. "Do not let Mary hear of them or she will have a fit, she never got anything as perfected as those." He laughs.

Anne taps her brother on the shoulder in mock fight. "Mary will be staying at Hever, she will not see or read about any such jewels." She glares at him with those penetrating eyes a challenge in her gaze.

"Of course not. She will not hear it from me, my lips are sealed." He says mimicking the action, his fingers brushing across his proud lips. "The king will be here shortly, Cardinal Wolsey commandeered him for a short while." He says glancing at me.

I blush under his scrutiny and wonder not for the first time what he thinks of me replacing his sister in the Kings affection. Anne eyes me with approval not sensing the thoughts which run through my mind. 

"Perfect, a beautiful innocent maid, blush like that for the king, he will like it." She says simply.

George was accurate in his estimation and the herald soon announced the King's arrival. I curtsy, my eyes downcast as he walks past us towards his throne. I see nothing but his passing shoes and it leaves me wondering if his gaze looked upon me as he passed, or if it was just rumor and his affections now laid somewhere else.