Chapter 5 - Sign Me Up

pic of xander at the top hehe

***

Sage Dunwoody

Everyone. Was. Staring.

I couldn't get away from it. My feet were planted to the floor and I felt like they were glued to the blacktop. My heart began to beat faster at all the attention I was getting. I never get attention. Some people were looking at me like I had grown two heads, others surprised, and a few just down right rude.

Those down right rude people had to be, of course, the populars.

I took a deep breath and began to walk. My steps were tiny and shuffled. I kept my head down and I had my arms wrapped around my torso. Why was this happening? I didn't recall doing anything worthy of this much attention. Maybe someone saw me on the roof this morning and took a video and showed everyone? I was clueless.

Then, I remembered something. Grayson specifically told me to not mind the stares, meaning he knew this was going to happen. Grayson and Ryder probably had some type of reputation at school. Their good looks would so obviously catch the attention of any girl at school. Even if they were considered popular, they weren't prude or bitchy in any sort of way. Perhaps I've been all wrong about the popular people at my school this entire time. They actually might be genuinely nice, caring, nor-

Nah.

I also haven't seen them at all throughout my, nearly fully four, years of going to this school. Who were these guys? I couldn't figure out anything. I rid my head of the perplexing thoughts and finally ended up right in the front of the doors to the inside of the school. I avoiding any of the still lingering stares at all costs.

Today was the first day of the new quarter. Usually Sea Pine goes by a semester system, but this year the board wanted to do something different for a change. Not really working out though. It was a total mess making new schedules for over one thousand students.

There were a couple tables set up in the front of the school with people's schedules, lined up in alphabetical order. I went to the table on the left, the table with the schedules for last names A through M. I walked up the the table and behind it sat two members of the ASB (Associate Student Body).

"Last name, please." The girl said without looking up. She was writing down something on her clipboard.

"Dunwoody," I answered. She looked up at me and a smile popped onto her face.

"Hey, Sage!" She said cheerfully. "How's a goin'?"

"Things are going well," I said back. She nodded her head and she flipped through the stack of papers. The girl and I had a few classes together last semester and some years before. She pulled out a piece of paper near the bottom of the stack and and handed it to me.

"Here ya go," she chirped. I thanked her and took my schedule.

I went inside the school and walked down the hallways, hearing a few whispers as I walked by. It had only been under five minutes and this was already traveling around? I needed to talk to Ryder and Grayson about this. I wasn't comfortable with people talking about me behind my back. It made me feel uneasy and self-concious.

I got to my locker and opened it in record time. I've had the same locker and locker combination since freshman year. I was practically a locker opening guru when it came down to my own. I examined schedule.

Period A: AP World History

Period B: AP Literature

Free Period