Chapter 7 - Ultimate Football

Sage Dunwoody

The rest of day was interesting, I have to admit. I found out that Ryder was in my PE class, and he was very good at it as well. Coach Emerson decided that we would playing Ultimate Football that day, which wasn't very ultimate after all. The game was basically where you got into teams of six, and you played against an opposing team of course. Whoever had the ball had to stop immediately and wasn't allowed to move. Their teammates would be running around and the person with ball had to throw to them, and the game went on like that. Stop. Go. Stop. Go.

"Alright," Coach Emerson blew his whistle to shut us up. We were already in our groups of teams and were just talking to one another.

I was in a group that I was basically forced into since I didn't necessarily have anyone else to be with. The other five girls in my team were Abigail, Macy, Phoebe, Leslie, Kendal, and Hillary. They were all a group of friends and I was only there to make sure they had the correct amount of people. They were nice girls, and weren't near bitchy or prude.

"I want you guys to choose your opponents for this game," Coach Emerson explained. "I would do it, but, not going to lie, I'm really lazy today."

The class laughed at his last remark, either because it was ironic because he was supposed to be an athletic teacher, or because they could relate. Coach Emerson was one of my favorite teachers. He was encouraging and didn't make you feel like shit if you couldn't do something. He pushed you on so you could reach the school standards or your own personal goal. He was a pretty humorous guy, too. Cracking a few jokes and funny stories while we stretched at the beginning of class. I dodged a bullet by not getting Ms. Dordie. She was the meanest of all the PE teachers and has extremely harsh. Her class's warm up lap was a sprint of the perimeter of the school. Our campus is pretty big, so it completely wares them out.

And that's only their "warm up."

Coach Emerson glanced around at our groups, pointing at us and silently counting us off. "Great," he clapped. "There is an even number of groups. I don't really care who you pick. Girls against girls, boys against boys, girls against boys - whatever. After you choose your opponents, get a football and go to one of the sections of the field and begin playing. I'll be walking around and seeing how you guys are doing, got it?"

We all nodded our heads and he blew his whistle again, signaling us to get started. Our group was looking around the students, looking for another group to play with. As I was looking around, Ryder and I made eye contact. He gave me a knowing smirk. My eyes widened in horror. No way I was going to play against him and his team. Tyler, Winston, Jackson, Luke, Fernando, and Ryder were all athletic and well built guys. Out team would be crushed by them.

Which is most likely exactly what they want.

Ryder looked over at his team and waved toward us. They all smirked and began walking to us. When they finally reached our group, Hillary looked like she was about to pass out. She made an embarrassingly loud gulp and I could hear her heavy and fast breaths she was trying to contain.

"You ladies want to play with us?" Jackson asked cockily. There was a playful smile pulling at his lips.

Abigail didn't even hesitate. "Let's do this."

Tyler slowly walked up to Macy, staring right at her. He was holding the football and was passing it back and forth between his hands menacingly. "You up for it?" He challenged.

Macy answered with confidence written all over her. "Get ready to have your asses served to you."

A few of the boys let out low "oooh's" at the threat. Tyler smirked and turned back to the boys. "Huddle!" He barked. The other boys made a weird sound in sync. It sounded like they were making a salute or something. They definitely wanted to wreck us.