Chapter 20 - My Name Is

Sage Dunwoody

The door of the classroom squeaked as I opened it, and I lightly flinched back at the sound. Immediately, all eyes darted toward me in surprise. I was too. I've never been late to class before, so this was new for all of us. Even the teacher had a befuddled look on his face.

I put on a nervous smile. "Hi," I said softly. 

"Sage," Mr. Link called. I looked at him and he had furrowed eyebrows. "You've never been late before."

"I know," I said with shame. I bit my lip for a second in hesitation. I needed an excuse for coming so late. Even John Puller was here, and he came late on a regular basis. I managed to beat him out. "But... But I had to help my mother with something this morning."

I'm such a great liar, as you can probably tell. Mr. Link stared at me for a few seconds, assessing my excuse. I just hoped he would take the bait. I did feel bad for lying to a teacher, but what else was I supposed to tell him? I was hanging out with three guys last night and fell asleep at Grayson's house and woke up late, completely forgetting I had school and having a mini breakdown. Won't happen again, sir. 

Mr. Link gave me a head nod. "Alright, Sage. I'm letting it slide this time since it's your first time. Just don't let it happen again."

I smiled and nodded my head happily. "Of course."

He gestured his hand from me, to my empty seat, silently telling me to take my seat. I adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder and walked down the aisle to my seat. An embarrassed blush tinting my cheeks when I heard someone cough "teacher's pet" as I walked by them. It wasn't my fault I was favored over other people. I just had the knowledge that doing my work and not acting like a total dipshit in class would get me places. 

I put my bag on the chair that Grayson was supposed to be in instead of on the floor. I had to admit, today was going to be boring without them. Or would it? I probably would've tried to avoid them anyway so I wouldn't get so much negative and unnecessary toward myself. But, knowing them, I couldn't get away. 

Just make up your mind!

I peeked over the person's shoulder in front of me, checking what we were doing. They had their notebook open to a blank page, titling it "My History." I saw the person next to them had the same thing. I hastily took my notebook out of my bag and opened to the newest page, copying them. 

"You made it just in time for our next assignment," Mr. Link said, directing it to me. I sheepishly smiled, then went back to looking at my notebook when I saw a few heads turn to me. 

"This is all about you. This is your history. And I'm not talking about all the old, dead ancestor stuff," he said teasingly. Everyone got a small laugh out of that. "I want this essay to be revolved around your story, who you are. It can either be a summary of your life, with different facts or events. Or one event that's happened in your life that makes, or made, who you are today.

"This essay had no limitations. No minimum amount of pages or words, and no maximum amount of pages or words. This is your last year in high school, and I want to see how you've evolved. Many of you may be thinking, this sounds very familiar?" Kids looked at each other around the room. Everyone was nodding their heads. "That's because you had the same exact assignment as your first essay in your freshman year here. When you turn these in, I'll read your freshman one first and then your senior one. I'll let you do the same. We both can see how you've grown and change."

Someone raised their hand. Mr. Lincoln called on her. "When is this due?" Mr. Lincoln smiled and said something that I have never heard in my whole 13 years of education.