Chapter 11

"Yes it was..." Says Serena. I look to her. "How did you know?" I ask her. "Well I got the idea when the others said they didn't remember what she said to me. They would have said something, I mean one of them is her mom. What mom would let her daughter say something like that? Anyways, I tested my theory when I poisoned her." She explains. "Wait... Tested? What if you were wrong?" "Oh well. It was worth a try. If she wasn't a demon, then she was just a b-" "But what about my real daughter?" Interrupts Maryse, worried. "Where could she be?" Alec walks over to her. "Don't worry, Iz can take care of herself. She isn't dead. I can feel it." He says. I gasp with the realization. "What? What's wrong?" Alec asks. "I know where the Halo could be! A while back, my dad told me stories about an ancient race that's lived on earth for much longer than humans have. Not even the most ancient vampires were alive back when this ancient race thrived on the surface. They hadn't even been created yet. Now they live deep underground, near the core of the Earth." I explain. "Oh yeah! I remember telling you those stories." My dad appears behind me. "But that's just what they are. Stories. There's no truth to them." "Wait, your dad is an enderman?" Magnus asks. "That's all you got from that?" Alec hits him in the arm. "Isn't the motto of the shadehunters 'believe all the stories' or something like that?" I ask them. "'All the stories are true.'" Jace corrects. "Right. Which means it's worth a try." I say. Lilica chimes in. "Not just worth a try, but a sound strategy. The stories are true. When the Great Lord created this earth, billions upon billions of years passed with no humans other Thant Adam and Even in the perfect Garden of Eden,"  She explains. "But, outside of the garden, evolution took place. A race of creatures who resisted the Lord's rule thrived. When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, and man fell, God cleansed the earth of this broken species before he sent the pair into the world. He did not destroy them, though. He merely banished them deep into the earth where they would never be found." She finishes. We all listen intently. "Great! We have our targets, then. Only question now: how do we get that deep into the earth?" "I know." My dad starts. "But it won't be so easy. I am not worthy." He looks at Lilica. "But she may be. She is an angel. Pure. They may see her as worthy enough to harness their power." "What? What are you talking about?" I ask. "The Ancient Ones. The oldest things in the End. We can use them to dig into the earth. Each of these spires is the tip of an Ancient One's sword." He says. "Come. Follow me to the temple." He walks away, and we all follow him. We walk to the edge and then down some stairs on the side of the island. The stairs led to a platform under the island. We walk on this path of platform to a room, and that's where dad stops us. "No one is allowed inside this room. Not until the Ancient Ones have read her, and approved of her. Otherwise we will be struck down on the spot." He explains. "Angel, it's your time. Go inside. As an angel, you are holy and pure of heart. If they dub you worthy, you may then ask for an Ancient One's help. You must sound like you need them. And if they agree you must be gracious and thankful. Can you do all this?" "Yes." Lilica answers. Dad motions her to go inside. Once she enters, the entrance to the room closes off. "What? Why can't we watch?" The man asks. "Because we are not worthy." Dad answers. "You know. I never caught your name." I ask the man. "Seth." He says. I nod and look back towards the door. 10 minutes later they open once again, and out steps Lilica. "I've got us an Ancient One." She says excitedly. "Congratulations." Dad says. Suddenly everything starts rumbling.