Sixteen

My, was it bright. Wait, were my eyes even open?

"Amethyst..." A man's voice with an accent similar to Paul's called out to me.

"Who are you?" I responded, but my mouth wasn't moving. I wasn't moving.

"It's John, love. John Lennon."

"John!? But you're...dead."

This wasn't right.

"I know that, love. So are you."

"I'm dead?!"

"Well, not quite all the way, yet. That's why you're seeing me and not the big man upstairs."

"Where am I then?"

"The halfway point. The doctors are working to save you, but there's a fifty-fifty chance they won't."

"I have to live. I can't leave Paul."

"I know you can't. I think they have this under control."

"Did my heart stop?"

"Yes, love. That's why you're seeing me. Oh, I think they've got you now."

I felt myself fading from this bright world my mind was in and could suddenly feel the pain I was feeling before all of this.

"John, what's happening?"

"You're going back. Be good to Paul, now. He really loves you. Tell him I love him."

With that, my eyes opened to people rushing around me.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Everything hurts. Every part of my body was aching. I let out a groan and heard quick shuffling in the corner.

"Amethyst! What's wrong?"

I recognized Paul's voice immediately.

"It hurts."

Paul quickly ran out of the room, I'm guessing to get a nurse. He was back within seconds and was siting by me again.

"I thought I was going to lose you."

"I thought I was gone."

"What do you mean, love?"

Paul pushed my messy hair out of my face and gently laid his hand on my cheek. The warmth of his hand sent heat into my cold, frail body.

"My heart stopped, Paul."

"I know, darling. How did you know that?"

"John."

At this point the nurse came in to increase my pain medication and update me on my status.

"Ms. Rowe, you are very lucky. Your wounds will be in pain for a while, but I'll increase your dosage to numb most of that. You will have to stay here a week or more so we can monitor your heart since it did stop. Mr. McCartney, would you like a spare bed brought in so you can spend the night?"

"Yes, please." Paul replied.

"Ms. Rowe, this medicine will make you extremely drowsy, so don't expect to be awake for very long."

"Thank you." I told the nurse and she left.

Paul turned to me and took my hand in his.

"John."

"Yes, John."

"Lennon?" Paul asked.

"Yes, Paul."