Thirty

February 24, 1982

I awoke this morning to find Paul peppering my face with kisses and whispering "Happy Birthday" after every one.

"Good morning, darling. Thank you." I told him sleepily.

"Don't get out of bed, all right? I'll make you breakfast and bring it up here."

"You don't have to do that."

"It's your birthday! Yes, I do!"

"Don't forget to call George too, okay?"

"I won't forget! Now, don't you move a muscle! I'll be back shortly."

So this is what twenty-one felt like. I feel like an old twenty-one, that's for sure. I'm engaged, pregnant, mothering two children already, what else could there be? But, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Interrupting my thoughts, the door bust open and in came Stella and James, each of them holding presents in their hands.

"Open mine first!" James squealed.

"Tell her happy birthday first, James!"

"Oh, yeah! Happy Birthday!"

James handed me his present which was a small box with a red ribbon tied precisely around it. I assume they had a little help with the wrapping. James sat with his legs crossed, watching me intently.

I unwrapped the small box and opened it to find a beautiful silver heart locket.

"It's beautiful, James! Thank you!" I hugged the little boy sitting before me.

"Open it more, Amethyst!"

I pressed the small button to open the locket. Inside was a small picture of Paul, James, Stella and I from when we were in Scotland last year and we were all smiling.

"I love it, James! Thank you!"

I knew it hadn't actually bought it, but I knew it was his idea.

"Now mine!" Stella chirped.

Stella handed me a rather large box with a smaller one on top.

"Which one first, Stella?" I asked her.

"The one on the...bottom!"

Inside the box was a lovely dress with a floral print that reminded me of the sixties, but better yet was that it was a stretchy material.

"I got it stretchy so you could wear it while you're pregnant!"

"That's so thoughtful, dear! It's beautiful!"

The other box contained a new pair of high-top converse, black of course to match the dress, as well as a picture Stella had drawn of me in the wedding dress she designed.

"Stella, this dress is beautiful." I said as I admired the drawing.

"Would you wear it?"

"I truly would."

"Do you think you could get it made for your wedding?"

"If your father approves, I think we could work something out."

She smiled at me and just then, Paul made his entrance.

"Breakfast for the birthday girl is here! Breakfast for the children is downstairs!"

James and Stella took off down the stairs and I removed the presents from the bed, but had Paul help me put on the locket James had gotten me.

"Do you like it, love?"

"It's perfect. Did you help him with it?"

"All his idea, all my money." He laughed.

"That's what I thought."

"What? You don't think I'm capable of something like this?"

"No, I just know you're capable of more." I smirked at him and threw him a wink.

"You're too cute. Now, eat up!"

Paul made me an array of foods ranging from chocolate-chip pancakes to a bowl of fruit, but he made sure to make enough for the both of us.

"What are the plans for today, then?" I asked Paul once we were done eating.

"Whatever you want to do, it's your day."

"I honestly wouldn't mind staying here all day, then maybe going out to dinner?"

"Whatever you want."

"Do I get a present?" I asked like a child.

"You want it now, or later?"

"Now or later?" I asked Paul.

"I suggest later, but whatever works for you.

"Later it is then..." I said skeptically.

"Don't worry, it's nothing bad and it's not just sex." Paul said jokingly.

"Well, I would hope so. Oh! I have a question."

"Yes, darling?"

"So, Stella has designed this beautiful wedding dress for me. Do you think we could have it made?"

"She's designed a dress?" Paul asked shocked.

"She has so many designs hidden in her desk, I think she'll turn out to be a fashion designer."

"What does the dress look like?"

"It's absolutely perfect! It has lace sleeves and a lace top with a sweetheart neckline underneath and it tightens in the middle, then goes into a ballgown shape. It's everything I've ever wanted in a dress!"

"Fate, don't you think?"

"What do you mean?"

"That you would just happen to meet me, fall in love, and have my daughter design a your dream dress without even knowing?"

"It might be..." I said, pecking his lips.

I got out of bed, slipping into a long-sleeve shirt and some sweatpants to lounge around the house in.

"You're the only person I know who can make sweatpants look gorgeous." Paul said as he admired me from behind as I left the room.

"You're just trying to get some, Mr. McCartney." I said as I looked over my shoulder.

"Mr. McCartney only wants a piece of Mrs. McCartney."

"Not yet, Mr. McCartney." I wagged my finger at him and started towards the stairs.

Paul caught up and gave my bum a smack before spinning me around and placing a kiss on my lips.

"You're only doing that because you know what it does to me, aren't you?"

"What ever do you mean, Mr. McCartney?" I asked innocently, raising my eyebrows with a smirk on my lips.

I gave Paul's bum a smack in return and scurried down the stairs, hearing him curse at the top of the stairs before he decided to follow me.

Chapter Thirty already? Thanks for all the reads, votes, and comments! If you haven't already, go and check out my new story Across the Universe and vote and comment! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

xx, beatleswingspan