Eighteen

"Wake up! Daddy! Ametist! It's time to get up!"

I shot straight up in the bed, not realizing that I was completely naked. I came face to face with the eyes of little James McCartney.

"Good morning!" He said politely. His little eyes never strayed from mine, pushing aside the fear that I was completely unclothed.

"Good morning, James!" I said excitedly and ruffled his blonde hair. Paul sat up at this point, rubbing his eyes groggily.

"What time is it?" Paul asked sleepily.

"I don't know. James, will you go find out what time it is?"

"Yes!" 

With that, James ran off into the living room and Paul pulled me into his arms under the covers.

"Good morning, beautiful. Flashing my son, I see?" Paul joked.

"He jumped right on top of me! Scared me half to death, he did!"

"It's alright, love. I don't care and I don't think he does either."

"It's 9!" James came running back into the room. It was only then that I realized he was missing his clothes as well.

"Alright, then. James, let's go get you dressed and make some breakfast."

"Okay, daddy!" 

James scurried out of the room once more and Paul took this opportunity to kiss me and put on some pants.

"Get up whenever you want, love."

"I'll be there soon."

I got up and went straight to the bathroom, brushing my hair and teeth. I went back into the bedroom to get clothes when a wave of nausea hit me harder than ever. I cursed under my breath and went to the bathroom, trying to be as quiet as possible as I emptied what little was in my stomach into the toilet. I leaned back against the adjacent wall in disbelief.

"This can't be happening."

Was I pregnant? I couldn't be pregnant. Wait, Paul and I never used protection. No, no, no, no, no. Bloody hell, I'm pregnant. 

You don't know that for sure.  

My brain was trying to reassure me and compensate for my freak out session.

Now was not the time. I pushed all of the thoughts away, but the thought that never left my mind all day was the one telling me that Paul would leave me if I really was pregnant.

Throughout the day, I was quiet. Paul noticed, but assumed I was simply not feeling well. It was mid-afternoon before Paul began to question me more.

"Are you sure you're alright, love?"

He brushed my brown hair out of my face and placed his comforting hand on my cheek.

"I'm fine." I said quickly.

"No, you're not. I know you better than that."

At this point, I knew that there was no more putting up a front and that he would not stop until he knew exactly what was wrong with me.

"I was nauseous this morning, that's all."

"Amethyst."

"I promise that's it."

"Did you throw up?"

"Paul, please."

"Just answer me. It's not that big of a deal, gorgeous."

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I'm just terrified."

"Terrified of what?"

"What if I'm pregnant and you leave me?"