Thirty-Eight

"Mrs. Perth! I'm so sorry!"

Luckily, the woman at the back door was our next door neighbor, and not someone close to us. I motioned for George to stay down and not move, so she wouldn't recognize the man beneath me as someone other than Paul. I moved on top of George, shielding his face from her view with my breasts, causing George to chuckle.

"You young people are so naughty these days! Manipulating everyone to cause trouble, I swear!"

"We're sorry, Mrs. Perth, it won't happen again."

"It better not! Why isn't your car in the driveway? Is it in the shop?" She questioned further, still standing in the doorway.

"We lent it to a friend for the night to go get dinner. We have company from the States this week."

"Oh, all right. Quiet down, then! It's bad enough I can hear you two at it in your house, I don't want to start hearing it outside."

"It won't happen again. We'll try to quieten down, Mrs. Perth. Have a nice night."

"I'll try, you hooligans."

With that, she left the doorway and I waited until I heard the front door shut and then I moved off of George.

"Thanks for covering me, love." George said slyly.

"Oh, shut it, Harrison. You just liked have my boobs in your face."

"You're not wrong, love. Thanks for tonight."

"You're welcome, I guess. I think I needed it too. I also think that you need to get out of here before someone comes home and sees your car, or you."

"I'm on it."

George got up and put his clothes back on, and I did the same. Going back inside the house, I picked up Winston and looked at the relaxed child. I felt terrible for what I did, and little Winston only made me feel worse.

George came up behind me and gave me a hug, whispering his goodbyes.

"I'm sorry, love."

"Why are you sorry? I made the decision too."

"I know, but I shouldn't have forced you like that."

"George, it's on both of us, okay?" I said, starting to tear up.

"Are you ever going to tell Paul?" He asked, voice shaking.

"It'll probably come out some time."

He sighed at this.

"Does the guilt ever go away?"

"It wears off, but you'll still know what you did."

"How do you know?"

"I cheated on Pattie once, my first wife."

"With who?"

"Ringo's first wife, Maureen."

"That's kind of like incest, George."

"Oh, trust me, I've heard it all before."

I sighed, rocking Winston gently in my arms.

"It's time for me to feed him. I'll see you around, George."

"Goodnight, Amethyst."

I was now alone, the guilt weighing down on me, but then again, we all have our moments of mistakes. I wouldn't necessarily call George a mistake, but I wouldn't call it a good decision either.

I went up to Paul and I's room, staring at the bed where would we make love tonight as we had planned. Would he notice? Would he call me out for cheating if he did? I don't even think I was supposed to have sex this soon after having a baby. I was so confused as I sat and fed Winston.

"Little child, you know so much, but nothing at all..." I said to Winston.

"We have a genius on our hands, do we?" I heard Paul say from the doorway.

I was so lost in my thoughts, I never heard them return. 

I was at a loss for words. All I could do was look at Paul. The man I love, the man I just betrayed.

I broke down right then and there. 

Paul ran over to me, taking Winston from my arms and placing him in his crib.

"Love, what's the matter?" Paul said, kneeling in front of me in the chair I was sitting in.

"I-I-I'm so sorry, Paul..." 

"For what? What have you done?" He said, voice still sweet as ever.

"I betrayed you..." I whispered quietly.

All Paul did was sigh, knowing what my words meant.

He moved to sit on the bed across from the chair, head in his hands.

"I'm sorry, Paul. I understand if you don't want to be with me anymore..."

Paul looked up, his cheeks now tear stained. I broke down more at his appearance, but I didn't know the true reason for the tears.

"I still want to be with you, darling. I never want to be apart, but, I've been hiding something, as well..." He said, the tears intensifying.

"W-What is it, Paul?" I said, moving to sit beside him.

"I betrayed you once, too..." Paul said quietly.

"When?" I asked, not mad at all since I had done the same.

"Back when I was recording Tug of War on one of those late nights. I walked outside the studio and there was this girl who I knew from back in the Beatle days that I had spent a few nights with. We went back inside the studio for tea and things, well, they just happened. I'm sorry, darling." Paul said, still crying.

"Mine was worse..." I said, sobbing.

"What do you mean? When was it?"

"It was...It was...tonight." I said quietly.

Paul sighed, the lines forming on his face, telling me he was thinking.

"Did George show up tonight?" Paul asked.

I was shocked. How did he know?

"Yes...How did you know?"

"I knew he would pull something like this. The way he watched you when we went to their house back in the winter, I knew it."

"Don't put all the blame on him, Paul."

"I'm not going too, love. But, I have no reason to be angry since I did the same thing. I deserved it, honestly. I should have told you sooner, so, thanks for being so honest." Paul said, moving to place a kiss on my lips.

"Where do we go from here? We can't just act like nothing happened, or can we?"

"We keep going like we always have because our love cannot be broken, okay?"

"Okay, Paul. I love you."

"I love you too, Amethyst. More than anything."

"We can call this a case of "what people do not know, won't hurt them." Paul said, causing my insides to churn at his words so similar to George's.

 I heard the front door open and the sound of children's voices filled the home.

"Back to normal?" Paul asked, standing and offering out his hand.

"As normal as can be." I said, taking Paul's hand and leaning up to kiss his lips.

Bet you didn't expect that, did you?

Written with all my loving, 

beatleswingspan

xx