Twenty-Six

"Stella! James! Please come to the living room!"

Paul called out for his children as I sat beside him on the couch, nervously admiring the ring that was on my finger. We were about to tell them the good news. I heard the patter of their feet as they descended the stairs, one right behind the other. When they arrived in the living room, they sat on the sofa opposite of the one Paul and I were on.

"What do you need, daddy?" Stella asked.

"We have to tell you two something."

Their heads perked up, intently waiting to hear what Paul had to say. He took a deep breath then began to speak.

"Amethyst and I are getting married!"

Stella began clapping and jumped off of the sofa, running over to hug Paul and I.

"I'm so excited! Can I be a flower girl? I've always wanted to be one!"

"Of course you can, dear!" I told her happily.

"James, what do you think?" Paul asked his son.

"Well, I thought you already were." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

We all shared a laugh, James eventually laughing with us for no reason.

"I think we have ourselves a ring bearer." I told Paul quietly.

He smiled at my comment and Stella returned to her seat.

"We also have something else to tell you."

"What is it?" Stella asked curiously.

"Well, there's going to be a new little one in the family."

"You're having a baby?!"

Stella jumped up once again, this time excitedly making her way towards the ground to squeal in joy.

"James?" Paul had to get his attention yet again.

"Another baby?" He asked quietly.

"Yes, James. Another baby is growing in Amethyst's tummy." Paul told him sweetly.

James got up and walked over to me, poking my stomach with one finger.

"There's a baby in there?" He asked innocently.

"Yes, James. It has to grow for nine months and then it will live with us."

"Wow."

Young James' mind was taking this all in, slowly but surely.

"What's the baby named?" James asked.

"We don't know yet. It will either be Rosalind or Winston. Which one do you like?"

"Hmm..." He tapped his chin, his little brain working over the options. "Winston. It will be Winston."

"Stella, what do you think?" Paul asked his daughter, who was now beginning to come down from her little outburst.

"Either one, but I'm thinking it will be Winston." She replied.

I raised my eyebrows at Paul, remembering our previous discussion of how we thought it might be a girl.

"Don't get your hopes set, but we will find out soon."

"How soon, daddy?"

"The baby should be here near or in July."

"That's so long, though!" Stella complained.

"The baby has to grow, doesn't it? Don't you want it to be healthy?"