Chapter 8

Derek

He hadn't expected Stiles to kiss him at the dance, especially not on the lips. Derek wasn't complaining though, just a little surprised. Surprised at first by the fact Stiles had even kissed him, even more at the fact Stiles was kissing him a second time, in front of everyone at the dance. Derek reluctantly pulled away from Stiles, trying not to smile too big, but it was hard to contain it. Stiles was just blushing, eyes on the floor.

"What was that for?" Derek asked with a slight chuckle. He waited for Stiles to answer, or to look up at him, but Stiles kept staring at the ground. "You okay?" Stiles shook his head and let his arms fall to his side, causing Derek to let go of him. "Stiles, what's wrong?" Derek reached for him, but Stiles took a step back, eyes starting to fill with tears. 

"I'm sorry," he mumbled before turning quickly on his heel and running off. Derek didn't know how to respond, or what to do. Everything had been perfect, and now his date had left him standing in front of everyone, embarrassed. Everyone was silent, so Derek cleared his throat and excused himself, swiftly walking away and into the hallway. 

He didn't know where Stiles had run off to, but considering Derek was his ride home, he figured Stiles couldn't have left. Unless he walked, which could've been possible. Derek checked all of the bathrooms in the school, outside, and anywhere else he could think of. Eventually he texted Stiles as he was heading out to his car. As it turned out, Stiles did walk home. 

Derek wasn't really sure if he Stiles wanted to see him or not, but he felt it was his fault Stiles had run off in the first place. He just wanted to check on Stiles, so he drove to Stiles house and ended up sitting outside for nearly half an hour. He couldn't muster up the nerve to walk up to the front door, to face the sheriff. Maybe jumping through Stiles' window wasn't the best idea either, but it was open and Derek was desperate. 

"What the fuck!?" Stiles screamed as soon as Derek landed in his room. Stiles almost fell off of his bed, but he caught himself in time and then slammed his face into a pillow. "Derek, I can't do this right now," Stiles mumbled. 

Derek carefully stepped closer to the boy, eyebrows drawn together in confusion. "What did I do wrong? Why did you just leave me standing there like an idiot? Everyone think's I'm a jerk. They think I hurt you somehow, and Stiles, if I did hurt you. . . then I'm sorry. Just tell me how to fix it."

Stiles abruptly sat up, throwing his pillow across the room. Derek noticed he was crying now, but he didn't dare step any closer. "You didn't do anything, Derek. It's me. All of it's me." He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands, sighing softly. "I'm so sorry."

Derek nodded slowly, taking a seat on the edge of Stiles' bed. "What happened?"

Stiles looked up at Derek, met his eyes, and a whole new wave of tears started. Derek frowned and tried to pull Stiles into a hug, and Stiles let him for a few seconds, but then he shook his head and forced himself away. "Don't try to comfort me, Der. I don't deserve it."

"Of course you do, Stiles." Derek grabbed Stiles hand, squeezing it softly. "Just, tell me what's wrong."

Stiles nodded slowly. "I never wanted to kiss you. Not tonight at least. I wasn't ready, but Scott. . . he pushed me into it. Bribed me, because he said it would be funny. I wasn't going to do it, but he kept asking and I said yes. I don't even want his fucking money, I just wish he would act like a best friend. He knew I wasn't ready to kiss you yet." Stiles paused and wiped his eyes again, looking up at Derek. Derek didn't know what to say. He didn't know if he was angry with Stiles, or if he felt bad for Stiles. "You probably hate me now."