Secret No More

Princess Sofia loved her magical amulet more than anything in the world. It gave her the power to talk to animals, and it sent her help when she needed it most. Nobody is supposed to know the secret of the Amulet of Avalor—not even Sofia's friends and family. The only person who knew was the royal sorcerer of Enchancia, Cedric. But one day, that changed.

Sofia was in the royal gardens, playing hopscotch with Clover, Mia, and Robin.

"Into town came 20 wizards, who raised their wands and made some blizzards," sang Sofia. "Can you count how many storms the strongest of the wizards formed? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!"

Unbeknownst to Sofia, her older sister, Amber, was in the shadows, spying on her.

Sofia continued singing, "Into town came 20 witches, and two ran off with all the riches. Can you count how many pots the richest of the witches got? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!"

"Nice moves, Sof," said Clover.

"Thanks, Clover," said Sofia. "Okay, who wants to go next?"

Amber was listening to Sofia talk to the animals when James came along, with his dog, Rex.

"Why is Sofia always spending so much time with those animals?" Amber asked.

"I spend a lot of time with Rex," James declared.

"You take him for walks, James," Amber reminded him. "You don't play hopscotch with him or try to have conversations with him. Does she really think she can talk to animals?"

"How should I know about that?" James frowned before Rex dragged him away. "Whoa!"

Amber heard Sofia say, "Sure, Clover, you can say any rhyme you want."

Clover was talking to Sofia, but Amber's ears only heard sniffing.

"That's good, Clover, but I don't think 'radish' rhymes with 'carrots'," Sofia said. "Okay, tell me."

Amber heard Clover sniffing again.

"That's funny, Clover," Sofia giggled.

"She really can talk to animals!" Amber gasped. She really wanted to know how Sofia can understand them.

Later, Sofia was heading back to her room to get ready for a sleepover when she saw Amber standing in the way of the door. "Oh, hey, Amber," she said.

"I saw you," Amber declared.

"Saw me what?" Sofia asked.

"Talking to your animals," said Amber.

"Oh, you know me, always talking to animals," Sofia giggled.

"I don't mean the way James talks to Rex," Amber pointed out. "You acted like you could understand them!"

Sofia realized Amber was onto her. "Well, maybe it just seems that way," she shrugged.

"You told your bunny that his rhyme was funny!" Amber declared.

Amber put her hands on Sofia's shoulders and said, "Sofia, I'm your sister. You can't lie to me."

Sofia walked away from Amber a little.

"Please, Sofia," Amber begged.

Sofia knew that she'd been caught, so she said, "Okay, you're right—I can talk to animals."

"I knew it!" Amber gasped. "How?"

"It's hard to explain," Sofia said.

"I have all day," Amber said.

Sofia escorted Amber into her bedroom, so nobody could hear. Sofia knew Amber couldn't be trusted, but if Amber wouldn't stop bugging her, she'll just have to confess.

The two sisters were sitting on Sofia's bed.

"Okay, but you have to promise not to tell anyone else—I mean it," Sofia declared.

"I won't—as long as you tell me," Amber said.

"My amulet gave me the power to talk to animals," Sofia confessed.

"Your amulet is magical?" Amber asked.

"Yes," said Sofia.

"That's amazing," Amber said. "What else can it do?"

Sofia really didn't want to give away too much information. "Oh, it does other things," she said.

"Like what?" Amber asked.

Sofia reminded silent for a few seconds.

"Sisters shouldn't keep secrets from each other, Sofia," Amber said, crawling up to her younger sister. "Whatever it is, you can trust me."

"Okay," Sofia said. "Sometimes my amulet summons other princesses whenever I'm in trouble."

"Oh, I think I'm going to faint," Amber declared, fainting and getting back up. "Is that why Jasmine came to help us in Tangu and Mulan in Wei-Ling? Your amulet called them?"

"Yes," Sofia said.

"You have the most amazing amulet ever!" Amber exclaimed. "Wait, did Daddy know it could do all that when he gave it to you?"

"No, you're the only one I've told," Sofia said.

"Your secret is safe with me," Amber said.

"Thanks, Amber," said Sofia.

"So can I have a turn?" asked Amber.

"What?" Sofia gasped.

"Wearing the amulet," Amber said.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Amber," Sofia frowned. "I can't take it off."

"Oh, I just want one little turn with it," Amber scoffed. "I'll give it right back."

"But I promised Dad," Sofia said.

"Daddy doesn't have to know," Amber protested.

"But I'd know," Sofia declared.

"Sofia, you're not being a very good sharer!" Amber shouted. She left Sofia's room in a huff.

Sofia began to regret telling Amber her secret, and she didn't understand why Amber had to be so mad about not getting what she wants.