Hugo's Back Is Against the Wall

Sofia and Amber quickly got Hugo and his family together in the parlor. Sofia explained her secret to the family, and she also told them about the danger Amber put them in—and just as she expected, Hugo was really mad at Amber for what she did to him and his family.

"Amber brought an evil prince to Albuquerque?" Hugo fumed. "Amber, how could you?"

"I just wanted a turn with Sofia's amulet, but she said no, so I decided to take one little turn," Amber protested.

"Amber, when somebody says no, they mean it, and you have to listen," Axel said. "You should've listened to Sofia, and we wouldn't be in this mess."

"And if we don't hurry, it's going to get even worse," Sofia said. "Arthur wants to make sure he doesn't go back to his island prison, so he's going to destroy my amulet."

"Oh, no!" Axel gasped.

"Sofia, is that Arthur?" Hugo asked, looking out the window.

Everyone looked out the window and saw Arthur trying to crush Sofia's amulet—but he really wasn't having any luck because the amulet was still in good condition.

"Well, that's a pretty strong jewel," Hugo's father, King Garrick remarked.

"Because it's enchanted," Sofia realized.

"We have books about enchanted jewels in the library," Hugo said. "We should have time before Arthur crushes your amulet."

Sofia, Amber, and the royal family went to the palace library to look for some books.

"So did Arthur ever say why he was imprisoned on an island in the first place?" Axel asked.

"He was jealous when his little brother was crowned king of their sepia kingdom, and he tried to overthrow him," Sofia said. "But he got caught, and he was marooned on that deserted island for five years."

"But how did his little brother receive the title?" Hugo asked. "That's not how royalty usually works."

"Arthur seems pretty arrogant and selfish, so he probably didn't have what it takes to be a good king," Sofia implied.

"I got it: The Complete Guide to Magical Jewels," Hugo said, pulling out a maroon book. He sat down and flipped to the pages with purple jewels until he found a picture of Sofia's amulet.

"The Amulet of Avalor is magically indestructible," Hugo read. "But the Amulet of Avalor is magically protected and cannot be destroyed by ordinary means. Only the flame of Everburn the Elder Dragon is hot enough to melt it."

"Everburn the Elder Dragon?" Axel inquired.

"The oldest of the talking dragons who live atop of the Blazing Palisades—which are located in the kingdom of Enchancia," Hugo continued.

"That's good," Sofia sighed happily. "Arthur's been on that island for five years, so there's no way he knows how to get to Enchancia."

"That's true, but if we're going to stop Prince Arthur from taking over Albuquerque, Amber needs to break the curse the amulet put on her," Axel said.

"Why me?" Amber asked.

"Because you're the one who's been cursed by the amulet in the first place, Amber," Sofia retorted.

"But how am I going to break the curse?" Amber asked.

"Well, the amulet usually releases a curse when the bearer has done something bad," Sofia said.