Where Ever I Go

The first semester of my senior year as well as the first half of the second went by really fast. Really before I knew it April was here and the year was almost over. Senior year even though it was my last year of high school wasn't my hardest year, but that didn't mean it was simple either. Senior year Beatrix and I were still roommates mostly because it worked.

It was hard to come across two people who willingly shared a living space for seven years so why mess that up? Starting in March Beatrix and I began to study for the SAT's that would take place in the middle of May. After the two of us would finish our homework we would study for the test.

"A special lottery is to be held to select the student who will live in the only deluxe room in a dormitory. There are 100 seniors, 150 juniors, and 200 sophomores who applied. Each senior's name is placed in the lottery 3 times; each junior's name, 2 times; and each sophomore's name, 1 time. What is the probability that a senior's name will be chosen? Is it A: 1/8 B: 2/9 C: 2/7 D: 3/8 or E: ½?" Beatrix quizzes me. I quickly do the problem 300+300+200= 800 so 300/800 which is three eights.

"D" I answer.

Beatrix nods before moving onto the next question "If K is divisible by 2, 3, and 15, which of the following is also divisible by these numbers? A: K+5 B: K+10 C: K+20 D: K+30 or E: K+45?

After doing the math in my head I answer "D again."

Beatrix nods again "that's the last one are you done or do you want to move on to history?"

"Move on." I respond.

"Okay" she says putting the math guide away and takes out the history one.

"The Maya of Mesoamerica are best known for their achievement in A: ship building B: mathematics and astronomy C: animal husbandry D: carpentry or E: literature?"

I scoff "that's easy it's B."

Beatrix nods "In early modern Europe, governments sought to increase national wealth and maintain a favorable balance of trade through government intervention by advocating A: Liberalism B: Capitalism C: Socialism D: Utilitarianism E: Mercantilism?"

"Okay" I say thinking out loud Liberalism was 20th century as well as Capitalism they hated socialists I've never heard of D so it has to be E Mercantilism."

"Yes Tori that's actually correct and by the way Utilitarianism is a theory in normative ethics holding that the moral action is the one that maximizes utility. Utility is defined in various ways, including as pleasure, economic well-being and the lack of suffering. This couldn't be the answer because it appeared in the 19th century."

"Oh" I respond "it sounds very American."

Beatrix laughs "yes I suppose it does. Okay last one "Where it is an absolute question of the welfare of our country, we must admit of no considerations of justice or injustice, or mercy or cruelty, or praise or ignominy, but putting all else aside must adopt whatever course will save its existence and preserve its liberty." The statement above expresses the viewpoint of which of the following? A: Niccolò Machiavelli B: Sir Thomas More C: Desiderius Erasmus D: Dante Alighieri E: John Calvin?"

"Machiavelli said that so A." I answer.

Beatrix nods "that's correct you're getting better at history you only missed two."

"Yea you quizzing me is really helping me, but I still suck at history."

Beatrix shakes her head at me "you really don't Victoria. Honestly you are an amazing student. Think of history like a math problem Event A + Event B= Event C."