How to Break a Heart

Within the next month things had changed greatly. Matt and Beatrix had gotten married, baby Victoria was growing faster than should be humanly possible, and I was working on my first album. That year when Jason came home for Christmas it had been just under a year since I had last seen him about ten months. I was absolutely relieved to see him once again alive and well. With him coming home brought drama and not the funny kind, but I won't get into that just yet.

That Christmas morning the five of us were sitting in the living room. Little Tori had received her first Christmas stocking, but being so little that probably wasn't a concept she could understand. That morning we were exchanging presents Matt went first giving both Beatrix, baby Tori, and I a present. Beatrix got a lovely necklace from him, his daughter got a stuffed Elsa doll, and me? Well I got a new guitar.

He honestly surprised me more each day he was actually trying to earn my trust. Matt knew very well that it was hard for me to trust and he wasn't pushing me to trust him like most people have done. It was like he was trying to prove to me that he wasn't like everyone else he wouldn't hurt Beatrix or me. It was sweet and honestly I found myself opening up to him it was a strange sensation for someone to want my trust and my approval.

Jason went next he didn't have much because he had just gotten home, but he was sweet none the less. For the baby he gave her a small handmade blanket and then he gave me a necklace with the letter V in the middle. The necklace was silver and the V that fancy kind where the tops of the letter were curled. On the left side of the V just below the curl the letter had tiny diamonds in it.

"I love you Victoria We share one heart and nothing can come between two halves of one heart."

I hug him "I love you too."

Looking over I see an amused expression on Beatrix's face. "Looks like the dark princess actually has emotions."

I stick my tongue out at her "I hate you."

Beatrix gave me the nickname of the dark princess when we were twelve years old. I went through a phase which never really ended now that I think about it where I discovered the color black. I hated the name back in eighth grade, but now it has sort grown on me. She always found it hilarious because when it came to colors I went straight from the pink phase into the black phase and that one never ended.

So then next it was my turn to pass out presents. For Jason and Matt I got them a couple nice shirts, for baby Tori I gave her well, her mother a scrapbook to show how the child grows, and then for Beatrix I got her something special. When we first became friends there was a tree that was right outside our dorm room and we carved our initials into the tree, but then just a little while later the tree got cut down.

For some reason those initials in that tree meant the world to Beatrix so I was able to cut out the message and planned to give it to her the next day. Clearly that plan didn't work out since I am giving it to her twelve years later. Well right before I planned to give the small necklace I made with them to Beatrix it disappeared.

I spent nearly a week looking for it, but it never turned up. Then about a week and a half ago when I was trying to find a meaningful Christmas present for my friend it turned up just like that. The situation was just hard for me to comprehend so I didn't over think it.

I bite my lip in anticipation as Beatrix very slowly I may add opened my present to her. She opened it to find a jewelry box.

"It's not much" I say ", but I hope you like it."

She opens the box to see a small handmade necklace the "gem" of the necklace was a small heart and in the center of it said T.O+B.J BFF. Beatrix hugs the breath out of me a huge smile on her face