And So It Begins

Time went by extraordinarily fast for a while after high school. Days went by, those days turned into weeks, weeks to months, then before I knew it years had gone by. Actually it was five years that went by. One year after I had graduated from Gallaudet. I had graduated with a major in politics and a minor in child psychology. It was one month after my twenty first birthday and two since Beatrix and I had decided to live together until we had both settled down.

I jump when I feel my pocket vibrating with a text and looking down I realize it's from Beatrix.

Hey Tori can we talk?

I quickly type a response: sure want to meet for lunch in half an hour or so?

Sure she responds that's fine

About half an hour later I find myself walking into a small restaurant & bakery about a block from our house. In the restaurant I sit down across from my friend.

"Bea what's up? You sounded like something was really wrong."

She is silent for a moment as she looks around before she motions that she wants to try and use sign language. She was still relatively new at signing since I had just began teaching her a few months ago

I-m-p-r-e-g-n-a-n-t she letter signs and I gasp.

How long? I ask her signing.

Beatrix holds up three fingers signaling that she is three months along. I smile at my friend and squeeze her hand reassuringly.

It's going to be fine I promise I sign slowly so she can understand I will always be here for you. I remember when we were in sixth grade you made me a promise that you would never abandon me well, now I am making that promise to you.

Thank you Victoria she signs and smiles at me gratefully.

After a moment of silence Beatrix gets my attention.

"Tori can I ask you a question? Well not really a question more like a favor?"

I nod "sure what's on your mind?"

"How would you feel about Matt living with us?"

I open my mouth to respond, but Beatrix cuts me off. "Look Tori I know you don't like him, but just please give him a chance for me."

I sigh giving into her "fine for you I will tolerate him, but beyond that I make no promises."

Beatrix smiles at me gratefully. "Thank you Tori."

Within the next week Matt had moved in with us. I promised Beatrix I would tolerate her boyfriend, but that didn't mean I liked him. In my life everywhere I went someone would let me down, hurt me, or break me a little more than I was before. Which as you can imagine lead to some serious trust issues so when I don't trust someone it's really hard to change that.

So having someone I simply tolerate move in with me I never thought I would ever see that happen, but time moves on and people change for better or for worse. I mean in just the past decade of my life I have changed so much and it seems like time just sped up.

It feels like just yesterday I was wondering if there was any possibility of my biological mother remembering or if there was even a small chance she was proud of me...... wait disregard what I just said that was yesterday. I pull my feet up to my chest sitting on the couch at Ryder's house while he pulls up the video he wanted me to see.