Chapter 6

Somewhere in space

Demon was silently cursing himself while adjusting the course of his, now in perfect working order, ship. It would take couple of month to get to his new assignment.

He couldn't believe what that Kibito made him agree to.

Why didn't he just got up and leave immediately after the tall alien sat down?

Or better yet, why didn't he blast him into space dust?

Well, it was too late now.

The Kibito creature did promise a good reward for the assignment. Better than good, actually. The sum was greater than all Demon's payments put together over last three years. Considering that his cervices were never considered cheep it could be called a fortune.

Demon was still surprised at what Kibito promised him.

It was a very cryptic promise.

"You will find what you are looking for!" he said.

Who was this Kibito? Who did he think he was?

During his professional career Demon meet many different creatures with different characters. Some thought that they new what Demon wanted and some were stupid enough to think that they could understand him.

Demon felt that Kibito was one of those creatures.

What made the strange alien think that he new what Demon was looking for? Who was he? Did he think he was a right hand of some god or something?

Now Demon felt himself getting angry again and tried to get control of his rampant emotions. Last time he let it all out an innocent little planet was blown up, plus he had to repair his ship. Not that he cared about the planet, but his ship could take only this much abuse. For a moment Demon considered going outside, away from the ship and blowing something or someone up. Then he changed his mind. He wanted to sulk a little longer before letting go of his emotions.

Ever since the green insect race was destroyed Demon didn't once go to his training room - he preferred the darkness of space to the darkness of his nightmares.

Back to the problem at hand, Demon continued to ponder on the unusual alien and his strange statement. Even though it made Demon angry it also stirred his curiosity, enough to agree, but not enough to keep himself from regretting it afterwards. Now, Demon was very unhappy with his own decision. He agreed to be a protector. He was used to protecting things, some very rare crystals, important planeterian official or just somebody's daughter (this somebody had to be very rich), but this assignment was something out of the ordinary for the little assassin.

This time Demon was hired to protect a planet. A whole planet!

He was used to destroying planets, not to keeping them safe.

He had to protect this planet called Earth…

What was pissing Demon off was that to get his money he would have to wait for Kibito. What was pissing him off even more was that he had to wait for the alien on the planet. That meant that Demon had to actually live there until his "boss" showed up however long that would take. He knew, he shouldn't have agreed to it!

He hated waiting and he hated having to deal with the locals on the planet.

Kibito did give some currency in advance and extracted a promise from Demon.

Demon rarely promised anything to anyone. Promise was something that Demon didn't believe in, but never the less he intended to keep every single one of them. And now he added another one to his list.

He didn't understand what was wrong with him. How could have Kibito convinced him to take the assignment. There were too many questions and too many things that Demon didn't like. If he was himself he would never have agreed to anything of a sort. That meant that he wasn't himself when he talked to the alive.

An angry growl started building up deep in his throat. That bastard! Taking one deep breath after another Demon tried to calm himself after deciding on the most painful way to kill the creep. Ripping out his eyes and making him bleed to death sounded like the best way to kill the creature, but Demon decided not to do anything hasty. He decided to think about it some more. It wouldn't be good to kill the bastard too quickly, and he was sure that given some more time he would come up with something more creative than bleeding his victim to death. Predatory smirk appeared on the young face which immediately disappeared after he remembered his assignment.

That was the difficult part of the assignment.

This Kibito also ordered Demon to assassinate somebody.

That would be the easiest part of the whole thing.

All he had to do was blast somebody into another dimension - nothing to worry about.

He just had to destroy an android.

Easy…