Chapter 1

Lucille P.O.V.

"Mom, I'm going on a run." I tell her as she tiredly sips her coffee. She nods and offers a small smile. I can't help but giggle at my mom, she is everything I'm not, but at the same time, everything I am and everything I aim to be. I would die for her.

Walking out the door, I take a deep breath of fresh air. For it being only 7 am in the morning, it is still very humid. I will never get used to this.

I run for about 30 minutes, until the heat finally gets to me. Using the back of my hand to wipe the sweat off of me, I slow down to a walk. I admire the neighborhood on my street. It's not a bad place, very elegant. I just hope I can fit in around here. Sighing, I look at my neighbors house.

Outside, working on her dying flowers, was a cute little woman. She stood taller than me, as does everyone else since I barely reach 4'11", and she had short black hair. She looked up, and her bright blue eyes met mine, and sparkled. A grin light up her face as she pulled her hands out of her gloves.

"Hello! Oh hello! You must be the new neighbor! Hello!" Her voice was calming as she spoke with excitement. I couldn't help but smile at her energy. My hand reached out for hers as she made it over to me, but she pushed it away and wrapped her arms around my shoulders and pulled me into a tight hug. Hesitantly, I wrapped my arms around her torso, and after I did, she let go and smiled at me. "I'm Marie Scott! You are such a pretty young lady! How old are you?"

Taken back by her energy, I stutter before talking. "Hello, Mrs. Scott. Pleasure to meet you. Thank you for the compliment. My name is Lucille Wood. I am 18 years old. What a beautiful house you have." I can't help but smile as she holds eye contact the whole time while we talk.

"Please call me Marie, Lucy. Is it okay if I call you Lucy? Thank you! I hate to be a burden, and know this is quite sudden, but neighbors help each other out, right?" I nod, and my smile tightens. "Do you think later tonight you could babysit my little girl? Just for a maximum of 4 hours. I do plan on paying you."

Realizing it was just babysitting, I loosened up a bit. I shrug and nod. "Sure." What can you do, you know? Money is money.

"Thank you!!" Mrs. Scott throws her arms around me once again and jumps up and down a bit, sort of burying my face in her chest. She backs away and smiles. "She is the sweetest little child ever! You won't have to worry about a thing. And you won't have to worry about Brendon, he should stay out of the way."

"Brendon?" I shoot her a questioning look. She nods and gives a strained smile.

"Brendon. My oldest son. He is 19, and he should he home all night, but we just feel more comfortable having an extra person watch the house and Iris. Iris is my baby girl." She explains in a hurry, as if afraid I'll change my mind because a boy will be there.

"I don't mind, Mrs. Scott. I'll still watch little Iris. Don't worry." She smiles again and I begin to think that's her signature trait.

After she tells me what time to come over and how much money I will be getting, she hugs me and let's me go to my house. As I'm walking to my front door, I feel eyes on me and look up and towards the neighbors house. Leaning outside of his window, was the famous Brendon I'm guessing. His arm flex as his head rests on them, his black hair falling over his eyes. With a little smirk on his lips, and the gleam in his piercing blue eyes, I know he heard the conversation with his mom.

I feel a shiver go down my spine as his eyes trail over me once. Turning away and going to my door, I can't help but feel the ghost of his burning gaze on me.

Tonight should be very, very interesting.