Chapter 2

Lucille P.O.V.

When I was younger, I always got into trouble. I was nice, I always got A's, and I respected everyone who deserved it. But I had a no patience policy for bullies. I think it was amusing, having a short girl in control. I would tackle anyone who was being rude and beat the crap out of them. I acted on impulse.

I got into the habit of protecting people. I felt like I had to at times, like if I could help them, it could help me.  I didn't mind. I liked being feared, gave me a sense of courage that nothing else could. But, just like everything else, being the badass can grow tiring. That's why I didn't mind moving down here with my mother. Change is good in my eyes.

Sighing, I step out of the shower. That's enough thinking for one day, Lucille. Looking in the body sized mirror, I looked at my reflection. While I was very short, my body did fill out very nicely. I was blessed with a decent sized chest, and an even better sized ass. My mother always said I would have the curse of curves. And damn, she was right.

Giggling to myself, I walked into my room and searched for clothes. After deciding it was too hot for anything else, I decided on jean shorts and a galaxy tank top. After I slide on my top, I feel the sensation of being watched again. Looking out to my window, I couldn't help but smile to myself.

Peeping just above the window, was a little girl.  Her eyes were round and sparkled when she saw me look at her. She ducked behind the windowsill, but her dark curly hair still showed. When she came back up, I waved and made a silly face. After she ran away with a big grin, I walked downstairs.

"Mom? Can you French braid my hair?" I batted my eyes at her and she nodded. Sitting infront of her, her hands immediately started working.

"I already have a babysitting job. For the neighbor. I need to go over at 8. She said they should be home before midnight." Mom laughed at this.

"Already? Damn sweetheart, good job. Just behave yourself, ok? Remember, if you need anything I'm right next door." When she says that, she finishes my hair.  Giving her a peck on her cheek, I run back upstairs to my room to finish unpacking.

Now, my room is never organized, but never messy. Everything is off the floor, but a cluttered mess ontop of the dressers. The only thing ever organized, is my books. They barely fit into the bookcase, but I always make it happen. My most cherished books go first though: my mothers books. Every book she has ever written, she dedicates to me. It's always just "For, Lucille, My Sweetheart."

I smile as I open a couple of them, reading stuff my mother has written to me in them. She is seriously my rock. She's always helped me through everything.

I remember one time when I was 15, I came home bloody everywhere. My nose was bleeding, my lip was cut open, and my right eye was swollen shut.

It all happened because this group of boys were picking on a younger girl, throwing her glasses to each other.

I went up to them, gently, yet forceful, snatched the glasses back and gave it to the girl. She thanked me then ran away. The boys glared at me then the biggest one grabbed my shoulders.

"What the hell did you do that for? You wanna take her place?" His nostrils flares as his intoxicated breath filled my nose. I scrunched my face, then replaced it with a deadly stare.

"No, but you can, since you like to be a little pussy and pick on others." With that, I started attacking them. My fists flew and my feet kicked. In the end, the boys decided to give up and go away, but not without leaving their mark on me first.

I limped home, blood dripping, ribs hurting, and hands bruised. I fell through the door, all of my energy leaving me. After I called for my mom, she ran up and started crying. She took me in her arms and rushed me to the bathroom.

It took hours to clean me up. The whole time, I kept apologizing and crying while she washed my body. She took care of me for weeks after that, nursing my body back to its health. When everything was healed, she laid my head in her lap.

"I'm so proud of you for taking care of others. You're the brightest star on this planet. Don't let anyone take away your shine."  And about a year after that, she wrote a book relating to things we went through. And she wrote those exact words in it.

Snapping back to reality, I look at the time. 7:36 pm. I put my books back down, and went downstairs to the kitchen. After making my mom and I a ham sandwich, I decided it was time to go next door.

Grabbing my phone, I kissed my mom on the cheek and left. Walking over, I kept biting my cheek. Approaching the tall door I ring the doorbell. It takes barely 10 seconds for the door to open.

Standing there, in the doorway, is a breathless Brendon. Beneath his shirt, I could see his chest lift up and down. I look up to his face, and see his mouth slightly open. When my eyes meet his, they twinkle and his lips curl into a smirk.

"Now, are you my baby sitter for the night?"