Chapter 9

Lucille P.O.V

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Scott and Mr. Scott." I say, nodding at them. They smile at me and Mrs. Scott comes up to hug me.

"Anytime, dear! It was such a pleasure to have you! You have to come over again as soon as possible. Iris completely loves you." She goes back to her husband after giving me a hug, and I look over at Iris, who was asleep on the couch.

Mom had left after we ate, because she got inspiration to write, but I stayed to play with Iris. Brendon had gone outside as soon as dinner was done, and he hasn't come back since.. He had me curious most of the whole time tonight, because he had a nervous energy about him... Maybe I'm crazy. I don't know.

Walking outside, I bid them goodnight and start walking to my house.

"No goodbye hug? I thought you were smoother than that, Little LuLu." A deep voice comes from beside the house, and through the darkness all I can see is the cherry from the cigarette floating in the air. Relief washes through me now that I know he is safe.

"You're the one who ran out after we ate. You don't deserve a hug." I hold my head held high, refusing to look at him.

"Then I'll just steal one." Suddenly, he has his arms wrapped around my waist, and I'm squished against his chest. He smelt of smoke, but his demeanor was more relaxed, so his arms were soft as they held me.

"Have you been smoking this whole time?" I scrunch my nose. He chuckles, and I feel his chest vibrate against me, and I can't help but smile.

"No. Not the whole time. But I have smoked several cigarettes. Why? Are you worrying about me, Little LuLu?" He buries his head into my neck, and I swear my breathing stops. Hello sweet spot. Pushing him away, I laugh and pat his shoulder.

"Keep wishing, Brendon the Bear." Turning towards my house, I am ready to jump into bed and sleep forever. But before I can do anything, my hand is being tugged.

"I am wishing." All I can see from the moonlight is the glowing intensity in his eyes as they sparkle. He brings my hand up to his mouth and he slowly, almost like torture, he brushes his lips against my knuckles.

Releasing my hand, his hand gently relaxes on my hip. As he states at me, he traces little circles on my side. Hypnotized, I just keep looking at him.

"Goodnight, Lucille." His voice is deep, and I keep from shivering at the sound. He moves away from me and walks to the door, looking at me once more before closing it, closing me out.

Stumbling inside of my house and upstairs, I can still feel the ghost of his fingers on my skin. I can still feel the ghost of his lips on my hand. I can still remember the gleam in his eyes as he looked at me with hunger...

Crawling into bed, I allow a final thought before sleeping. No one else can call me by my full name except for Brendon.

~~~~~

"Baby!!!!" A shrill voice screams out, as my bed bounces up and down. My eye lids flutter open and I can't stop the glare directed towards my mother. Her hair is down from her bun. But she is still dressed in the clothes from the dinner party.

"What." My voice doesn't hide my annoyance, but my mother ignores it, and smilies at me, laying down next to me. She props herself up on her hand and uses her other to lightly brush over my face, sort of like an apology.

"I wrote so much tonight. I was honestly so inspired. That boy? Brandon? He had such interesting stories to tell! And that mystical aura he has around him!" She rambles on, but I can't help but smile. When my mom gets inspired, you can't help but get inspired yourself.

"Brendon, Ma. Not Brandon. Which one was your favorite?" I snuffle into her chest and she wraps her arms around me.

"The one where he saved the night for his mother! Like come on. Fashion designer has mental break down because her work becomes ruined, but 7 year old boy saves the day by sewing together a curtain! Superb!" She moved her hand a lot as she talked. God, my mother is such a kid.

"Is that what you used for your story?"

"Of course not! You know I won't spoil my story until I'm done it!" She smirks and I can't help but roll my eyes at her.

"Ok, I'm sorry. baby. I'll
Leave now. Goodnight." Mother stands up, kisses the top of my head, and exits.

Now that I'm awake, I can't push away the thoughts of Brendon. Mustering a lot of courage, I move my curtain, and look towards the other house. His light is on, and he is propped against his bed frame on his phone. He has no shirt on, and I can't help but feel my face warm up.

Suddenly, my phone vibrates.

From: Bad Bear
Spying isn't nice... No matter how cute you are.
Why are you up? It's 3 in the morning. Nightmare?

My face feels like flames now, and I drop out of the window. With my heart slamming in my chest, I respond.

To: Bad Bear
I was just checking for rain. Mom woke me. No nightmares.
Why are you up?

From: Bad Bear
Good excuse. But good, I was about to come over there and comfort you if you did. 
Couldn't sleep.

I bite my lip, and declare myself stupid, but do it anyway. I press the call button.

"Why, hello, Lucille. Hearing my voice a couple of hours wasn't good enough?"