Chapter 12

Lucille P.O.V.

I can't go back bed. I can't help but worry about Brendon. What made him stop breathing like that? It could be from his smoking. But it honestly did sound a lot like a panic attack. Whatever it was, it sounded too similar to the way she sounded when she had called... I have to make sure he is ok.

Opening my curtain, I grab my phone, ready to call him, but I see him down on the ground, smoking a cigarette. I let go of the breath that I didn't know I was holding.

I tap the glass so he looks up, then I pull up my window. He looks up at me with a smile.

"Is it ok if I come down?" I lean on my arms, enjoying the nice breeze blowing through. He nods and flashes me a thumbs up.

Pulling on some basketball shorts, I quietly walk down the stairs and outside.

"Hey stranger." He smirks, looking up as I get closer. I nod at him and stand in front of him.

"I woke up early, and I'm starving. You're the only one I know who is up, so you wanna go somewhere to get food?" I ask, cocking my head. His eyes got a little bigger, but I shake it off as me just being sleepy.  He clears his throat and takes a hit of his cigarette. He leans his head back and blows out the smoke. After taking a couple of inhales, he flicks it to the side and stands up.

"I'll take you to my favorite place. Go grab anything you need." With that, he goes inside. Smiling to myself, I quickly jog into my house and grab anything I may keys and wallet.

~~~~

"I can get chocolate chip AND strawberries on pancakes?!" I'm so excited. There's so many possibilities, I just can't help myself.

"Yeah, it used to be my favorite. Order that and use blueberry syrup. You'll die from perfection in your mouth." He winks at me and I can't help but die. Putting my menu down, I finally notice that he never picked his up.

"Do you already know what you're ordering?" I tilt my head, raising an eyebrow at him. I know he said this was his favorite place, but does he come here enough to know exactly what he wants? He chuckles and shakes his head.

"After waking up like that, I'm not really hungry." He laid his head down on his arms, and looked at me. Some of his hair fell close to his eyes and before I could stop myself, I brushed it away. This action caused the both of us to turn red in the face.

"Hello, I- Brendon Scott? Oh my god, it's you! I haven't seen you here in forever! And you brought a cute little missy too! What can I get for you two lovebirds?" A waitress with ginger hair smiled down at us with motherly love. She is wearing a cute blue waitress outfit, like all of the other workers, but it seems to fit her better.

"Hey, Sue. Long time no see. This is Lucy. She'll want the chocolate chip strawberry pancakes." He flashes Sue a dazzling smile and she pats his shoulder.

"Nothing for yourself?"

"Not hungry." His jaw twitches when he looks at her, but he replaces it with a smile.

"Lucy just moved here. I want her to have the glory of eating the worlds best pancakes." Sue grins at his words, shaking her head. After writing down the order, she walks away.

Brendon lays his head back down on his arms, but his eyes never leave mine. Like always, the bright blue pierces through my soul. His lips are chapped, but they still look soft...

"Tell me about your mom." He whispers, a smirk on his face.

I blink and look at him, nodding. Did he catch me looking? God, I hope not. If he teases me I swear I'll kick his ass.

"She's a writer. It's her passion. I'm really happy she can do what she loves. She lost inspiration in Jersey, so we moved down here." I smile as I speak of my mom. She honestly deserves everything good.

"You're from Jersey? No wonder. You say water like warder. It's cute." As blush covers my face, he laughs and I scowl.

Just as I'm about to scold him, my food arrives. Just looking at it makes drool come out of my mouth. I've never seen pancakes that looked like heaven. When they are placed in front of me, the smell is even better than the look. The sweet smell of the chocolate mixed with the fruit is perfection. I smile up at Sue, saying thank you.

Brendon grabs the blueberry syrup and hands it to me, smirking.

"I don't know how much syrup you like, but honestly, you wanna drown that bitch." I laugh and he grins at me, laying his head back down on his arms, his eyes never leaving me once.

After pouring the syrup, I dig in. I swear I've died and gone to heaven. Brendon just watches me eat, glancing at my food often.

"Do you want some? There's a lot here, I wouldn't mind sharing." I offer, cutting the pancakes in half.

"No, no. It's fine. I'm not hungry." He quickly answers, sitting up with a smile on his face. Looking at him, I notice that his bright eyes, are dull...

"I think you need to eat something." I whisper, bowing my head slightly, looking at him through my hair.

"I'm not hungry." His voice is even and unnatural. His eyes watch me, as if daring me...

"Please just eat some-"

"Stop asking! I'm not hungry." His voice is low, threatening. I look at him and he has turned his body away from mine, laying across the seat.  I go back to eating, deep in thought...

"You done, sweetheart?" Sue comes back and grabs my plate.

"Yes, thank you! Those were the most perfect pancakes ever." She grins when I say that and pats my shoulder. When she comes back, Brendon grabs the check and pays before I can stop him.

After paying, he walks to the door, and holds it open for me, not saying a word. I follow him as we walk home. I feel him glancing at me sometimes, but I don't have the courage to look at him.

"Thanks for a fun time. I'll see you later." Brendon rushes to his door, not even looking at me as he says that. I watch as he leaves, and my heart breaks as I figure something out.

I haven't seen him eat ever since I've got here.