Evil In The Night.

I rolled around restlessly on my sleeping mat. Now and then I'd check behind the drapes to see if Pippin made any movement. But he just laid there motionless, except for the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed. I put back the drapes and lay on my back.
C'mon Rosa, it'll be fine. Gandalf will get to him on time. Or this time, Merry will talk him out of it. Just go to sleep. Have sweet dreams, close your eyes.

My eyes slowly closed, and deep sleep took over me.
I was awoken by a shriek. I sat up and pulled back the drapes. Pippin was hunched over in pain on the ground, with the Palantir in his hands. 

Merry watched in fear, then noticed me. "Rosa! Do something! Please!" 

I stood up and ran over to Pippin. I started by trying to shake him out of it, but it didn't work.
Instead I took the Palantir from his hands, which I thought would be easy, wasn't. I thought I could just grab the Palantir from him and throw it to the side. But my grip on the ball tightened and my eyes screwed shut, darkness flooded my mind. All I could see was Sauron's eye. Fiery and red.

Where are you? Tell me...

The darkness went away, my eyes opened. Aragorn had the Palantir in his hands, but it slipped from his grasp and went rolling across the room. Gandalf was awake and threw the cloth on top of it and turned to both me and Pippin, who was out cold on the floor. I plopped to the ground, my whole body was cold, but beads of sweat sat on my forehead. My entire body shook and Aragorn and Legolas went to my side, both trying to comfort me. Gandalf woke Pippin and asked him questions, then went to me.

"What did you see?" He asked. 

"Ss-Sauron's eye," I replied, my shaking hand covered my forehead.

"Did he say anything?" I nodded. "What did he say?" Gandalf questioned. 

"He asked me where I was, but I didn't say anything back," I answered. 

"Is that the truth?" Gandalf asked once more. I nodded. Gandalf stood up and left.

"Are you hurt?" Aragorn asked me.

"No, I'm... okay," I replied. "It's Pip you should worry about." 

I pointed to the hobbit who was shaking like pudding. Aragorn stood up and walked over to him.

"Are you sure you are alright, Rosa?" Legolas asked. 

"Yeah, as I said, don't worry about me. Just a bit shocked it all." I said, trying to remove his attention to me. 

"I meant physically. Can you stand, walk, move." Legolas said.
"Well, let's find out, help me up," I replied. 

Legolas put his arm around my waist and pulled my arm around his shoulder. My legs shook as Legolas lifted me to my feet. 

"Okay. I'm alright." I said. 

"Nay, you are not. Your legs are shaking." Said Legolas. 

So I stood there with Legolas' arm supporting me and watch Pippin recover from the incident.

"Did you know it would happen?" Legolas asked. 

"Yes, why do you think I grabbed the Palantir?" I answered. 

"It could've killed you." Legolas added.

"It could've killed Pippin too, but you and Aragorn came in time." I said. 

"But if we hadn't. What then?" I felt his eyes looking at me. 

"Well then I die, Legolas." I looked at him. "I don't belong in this world anyway."  

Legolas looked at me in shock. His brows furrowed before he spoke. 

"That does not matter. Your family back in your world, what about them? And here there is plenty of folk that care for you." 

"Meggie has probably told everyone about me leaving. They'll most likely assume I'm alive and well. And Aragorn doesn't need me, he was never meant to have a sister." I replied. 

"Do not say that. You have as much meaning to this world as anyone else does." Legolas' grip tightened around my waist. 

My legs stopped shaking and I loosened my arm around Legolas' shoulder. 

"I can walk now." I said. Legolas took his arm from my waist and exhaled. 

"Just be careful in the near future please." He added before leaving for his mat. 

~~~~~~~~

I followed Gandalf with Pippin and Merry out to the stables to see them off. I was not to go to Minas Tirith because of my brief time with the Palantir, but it was polite to say my goodbyes. In the stables Gandalf hoisted Pip up onto Shadowfax, got on himself then turned to me.  

"Rosa, I want you to help your brother convince Theóden to give aid to Gondor. He refuses due to the fact that Gondor wasn't there for Rohan in times of war, he doesn't realize how much they will need the help. But I will do my part as well in Minas Tirith." 

I smiled at the wizard. "Gandalf, that is the first time you've asked me to do a favor without taking care of the hobbits." 

"Oh, and keep an eye on Merry as well." Gandalf smiled. I laughed, and opened the gate to the stall. 

"Until we meet again." I nodded and they were off.

Merry ran outside the stables and up the watchtower, I followed him. He stopped at the rails and watched Shadowfax disappear into the hills. 

"Don't worry Merry, you'll see him again soon." I said.

~~

I sat with Merry, Gimli, Legolas, and Èomer at a table in the dining hall, Aragorn was trying to persuade Theóden to help Gondor.

"Have you ever been in a war before Rosa?" Merry asked. 

"No." I replied. 

"Neither has Pip. And he's about to be in one, but I'm afraid he doesn't know it." Merry replied. "He can just be so clueless sometimes. And he's extremely vulnerable." 

"You know Merry, that reminds me of a great story from where I was born." I started. "It was during one of my country's wars, a revolution to be exact. Our side was losing, but we didn't stop. In fact, a man named Ethan Allen, and his crew, The Green Mountain Boys, were headed to Fort Ticonderoga, one of the enemies' base, to steal some cannons. When they arrived, they had no weapons, just their own wits, and bravery. So, Ethan Allen went right up to the fort's general's door, it was the middle of the night so he was sleeping, and Ethan Allen knocked on his door and yelled: 'Come out ye old rat!'" 

I had yelled that a bit louder than I had intended, and I got a few looks from people. Legolas and Gimli chuckled and I continued. 

"The fort general sat up in his bed, and asked: 'By whose word?' Ethan Allen replied: 'The Great Lord himself!' So instantly, the general surrendered Fort Ticonderoga and that let to the turn of the tide." Merry began clapping. 

"I get what you said, Rosa. Even at the worst of times, there's always hope." 

"You got it." I nodded. "Be brave like Ethan Allen, and heroic like Beowulf."