Parting Ways.

"When I was in the smithy, they taught me how to sharpen a sword!" Merry was telling me about his day at the camp, while we sat around a fire eating our food. "I also put on some armor and practiced sword fighting, now I'm really ready for battle!" 

Èomer almost choked on his food. I looked at him and shook my head. 

"He's a hobbit." He whispered. 

"And I'm a woman," I whispered back. "Let him dream." 

Èomer shut his mouth and continued to eat. I finished my food and stood up.

"Well gentlemen, I'm going to call it a night." 

"Goodnight Rosa." Merry looked up. 

"Night'" I waved and headed to my tent.

I pushed back the flaps of my small tent, it wasn't too small but smaller than the others'. It just had enough room for a small table to eat on, some space to walk around, room for me to stand, and a cot.

I took my hair out of its braid and began to take off my boots. When I got the first one, I heard Legolas' voice outside my tent. 

"Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of Dwarves?" He said. "We're going with you." 

"Alright, let us hope Rosa fell asleep before she could hear any of that." That was Aragorn.

Nuh-uh, they aren't leaving without me. Or at least without saying goodbye. I quickly put my boot back on and ran out of my tent. 

"Too late!" I yelled. 

The three of them turned to look at me. I caught sight of two more elves behind them, I recognized as Elladan and Elrohir, Elrond's sons. They both nodded to me as a quick greeting, we had not seen each other since the Fellowship left Rivendell. 

"No, Rosa. You aren't coming." Aragorn shook his head. "Do you even know what you are walking into?" 

"Yes, I do." I blew the hair out of my face, it was getting out of hand, I hadn't cut it for a while. "You are going down the Road to Dimrauld, where the spirits of traitors still roam. And it is very deadly." I added. 

"Exactly why he doesn't let you come," Legolas replied.  

"You too?" I looked at him and he avoided eye contact. 

"Tis very dangerous, lassie." Said Gimli. 

"Then why are you going as well?" I asked. "I have come as far as you three have on this journey and if it's going to end, I'm going to end it with you."

Elladan stepped forward to speak to Aragorn. "Your sister is not going to back down easily." 

Aragorn glanced at his foster-brother, then back at me. He hesitated before speaking. "You can come halfway, but you are not entering with us. You will go back to the camp and ride with the Rohirrim to Pelennor fields." He said. 

"Fair enough." I nodded. 

We walked to the entrance of the road, I got behind Aragorn on Brego, since there was no point in riding Sheika. Men started to crowd around us as we began to ride down the path. 

"Where are they going?" One man asked. 

"Lord Aragorn! Storyteller!" Another called after us.

The voices faded away as we traveled farther into the mountain. Mist surrounded us, making it harder to see. We soon came to an opening like a doorway. We dismounted our horses, Legolas went forward to read the writing engraved above the entrance. 

"The way is shut, it is built by those who are dead... The way is shut."

"Seems legit..." I mumbled to myself.

A cold, eerie breeze came from the entrance, spooking the horses and causing them to run off.

"Brego!" Aragorn called after his horse. 

"It's alright Aragorn," I said, "I'll retrieve them. This is where I leave you anyway."
Aragorn nodded. 

"If I do not return," Aragorn started, "and something happens to Theóden, you will be in charge of leading the army, tell him I told you that." 

"You are seriously trusting me with an army?" I asked. "And don't say that you won't come back." I pulled him in for a hug. 

"Be careful." Aragorn pulled away. "I know you will fight well." 

Gimli approached me. I looked down at the stout dwarf and smiled.

"Well, lassie, been a pleasure fightin' by your side." Gimli nodded. 

"And I to you, Master Gimli. I'm glad I met you." I replied.

I glanced up at the sky, black was turning purple, and the stars were fading. "I have to leave soon." I looked at Aragorn. 

"Legolas, make it quick." Aragorn nodded to the Elf. "Gimli, c'mon, we'll get a head start." The two disappeared into the mountain with Elladan and Elrohir close behind. 

I looked at Legolas, he positioned himself in front of me. 

"I will not request you to tell me how this ends." He said. "I do not wish to put that stress on you, I have already done that enough."

"Thank you, Legolas." I smiled.

"Ah, one last thing." Legolas looked behind him down the path, then back at me. He took my hand, leaned forward, and kissed me on the lips. He pulled back then wrapped his arms around me, holding a tight embrace. "Don't die." 

After a brief moment, I returned the embrace. "I won't." 

Legolas pulled away once again and placed his hands on either side of my head and looked into my eyes.

"I mean it, mela." He kissed my forehead, turned away to the entrance, and began walking.

"You live by the way," I called after him. 

Legolas turned with a smile on his face. "It was still worth the kiss." Then he was gone. 

I turned away from the entrance of the mountain, grinning like an idiot. I pressed my hands to my warm cheeks and looked down at the ground. 

"Oh, goodness, you just got kissed by an elf." 

I started back down the road to the camp. Now I can't come back all happy looking. Maybe I could cry? Think sad thoughts, think sad thoughts... I can't I just kissed Legolas. I looked around and kicked the stone wall... Hard. Tears welled in my eyes, but I decided to hold it until I got to the camp.

I shielded my eyes from the rising sun, Èowyn was waiting outside the entrance. "Rosa?" 

I let the tears run down my face. 

"I'm sorry." Èowyn embraced me in a hug and escorted me to my tent. 

"You need to get ready for battle."

Yes, I do.