Scorched Sand

I look back at the both of them, who are staring at me in anticipation, especially Luke. Artoo whistles in the background.

"There's not much to tell," I say stiffly, looking away from the two of them and instead focusing on the floor. "And, really, I don't see the point in knowing how I got here. What matters is that I got here and I fight for the Rebel cause, so shouldn't we be heading to Alderaan now?"

"But the problem there is Luke doesn't know who you are. You're still essentially a stranger to him," Obi-Wan says. "I think it's time you told Luke who you are."

I look at Luke, who sits back down next to Threepio. He looks back at me, and we stay like this for a few seconds before I look away. 

"I'd prefer for no one to become attached to me, because being part of the Rebellion is an extremely dangerous occupation..." I murmur, shifting uncomfortably in my seat. 

"What are you saying?" Luke asks.

"I'm saying don't go getting attached to people because they may end up dead," I snap at him, looking back up at him. "And believe me when I say you do not need that while fighting the Empire. One of the many things I've learned from firsthand experience..." I sigh heavily. "All you need to know is that I'm strong in the Force and an undercover Rebel." I shrug my shoulders. "That's it."

"But-"

"Listen, Luke, I don't want to sound rude, but stop worrying about how I ended up here. Like I said, it doesn't matter how I got here, what matters is that I'm here and I fight for the Rebel cause."

"Natalie," Obi-Wan says softly, trying to calm me down, sensing my agitation. I look over to him and take a deep breath. "You need to help Luke understand the Rebel cause, and why he needs to come with us to Alderaan."

So in order to convince him to join the cause, I have to relive that night all over again. I guess it would make sense for him to know my weaknesses if we are to become allies, because then he can help me out when they get the better of me.

"Fine, okay..." I say, rubbing my forehead and my eyes. I sigh heavily, and take a deep breath, bringing my hands away from my face, and I prepare to begin. 

"Our town was raided by the Empire in the early hours of the morning, because they believed our innocent town was being used as a Rebel outpost. However, that was told to me after the raid happened, and I have never believed that was the intended reason. Hordes of Stormtroopers and Officers were marched through the town, led by Darth Vader, and raided every house and killed anyone that stood in their way."

I pause, thinking back to that night.

"Our family was lucky, though," I say after a moment, staring into space as I talk. I don't look at either of them, because I know if I look and find them looking at me with worried, concerned and caring eyes, I will certainly break down. 

"We owned a moisture farm, right on the outskirts of the town. My father sensed the commotion and gathered my mother, brother and I at the back of our house. He told us to run to the rocky dunes that were less than a mile away from the edge of our farm. All the while our mother was telling us no, that we should stay together, but he was adamant. She eventually agreed, and pressed her lightsaber into my hands, as I was much stronger with the Force than my brother."

I pause again, continuing to stare into space. I think of my home again; the small adobe house, with its whitewashed walls and homely smell, the moisture farm that provided a space for us to play and grow up and the garage where Evan and I parked our speeders. The speeders we used to race in against each other and Zach during our teenage years. The speeders we used to travel to Obi-Wan in order to train. I look down at my hands and play with my fingers nervously.