Recovery

I wake up slowly, my left arm throbbing in slightly subdued pain, to the sound of talking in the room. It's faint and quiet, like they're trying not to disturb me, but I can clearly tell that the voices belong to Luke and Han.

"...But all that business on the Falcon after we escaped the Death Star?" Han says, sounding confused. "I thought you liked Leia."

"I know, it's just..." This time it's Luke, and I listen as he sighs heavily.

"I know, you haven't shut up about her for the past three years," Han retorts sarcastically, and I feel my cheeks heat up. I hear Chewie groan in the background in agreement, and Luke huffs to himself. "Listen, kid, maybe you should just tell her outright. What's the worst thing that could happen?"

"She could hear me!" Luke snaps, and I can't help but smile to myself.

"No need to be so petty!" Han retorts. "What I meant was, well, if she's important to you, show her. She's not going to come back after three years and wait around forever for you to do something."

"Well... I did try."

I feel a pang of guilt as I think about last night, about how I pulled away from him, about how he apologised after expressing how he felt towards me. How could I have been so rude?

I hear the door open, and I frown to myself, hoping it's not Zach.

"Oh, it's the Shadow!" Han exclaims, and I know he's talking about Alina.

She huffs at him. "I just wanted to get her some things!"

I hear her head towards me, and she places some things down on the table beside my bed. She sighs, and I feel her looking at me. "I'm just glad she's okay," she says quietly.

"Me too," Luke adds, and I smile to myself again.

"You got a good ally there, Shadow," Han tells her.

"Stop calling me that!" Alina huffs angrily.

"Leave the girl alone, Han," Luke sighs.

"So, you're the Luke Skywalker?" Alina asks him to change the subject, and I feel my cheeks heat up.

"Yes, why?" he replies, obviously confused.

I groan like I've just woken up to prevent Alina from saying what I know she's going to say. I sit up groggily, pushing myself up with my good arm and running a hand through my hair, the covers falling off of me, revealing my off-white cotton medical gown.

"Nat!" Alina gasps, running towards me from sitting on Luke's bed. She throws her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly. I swing my legs round off the bed so that I can hug her back, and this gives me a chance to look at the bandage on my left arm that runs from my wrist up to my elbow. Alina comes away from me and sits down next to me on the bed.

"Are you alright?" I ask her, knowing that last night must have been tough after losing her grandfather and then me.

She nods. "I slept in with Tom and Zach. They took care of me."

"Good," I smile. I pull my legs back up onto the bed and sit cross-legged. I lean back against the wall and rub my eyes, yawning. I look over to the table beside my bed to find my belt, my blue flying helmet and the rope bracelet Alina made me sitting there. I lean forward and pick it up, and pull it onto my wrist as Alina settles down beside me and rests her head on my shoulder, nestling her head into the crook of my neck.