The Rebel Fleet

"Wake up, Natalie," Leia says softly, and I open my eyes and look up at her. She looks as if she's been crying, but she still gives me a smile. "We've reached the Rebel fleet, and there are medics waiting for you and Luke."

I nod wearily, smiling back, and I look down at Luke, who's fallen asleep on me. "We need to get him to medical before that wound gets infected," I say, my eyes moving to the cuff on his right arm. "Hey, Luke," I whisper, stroking his cheek to wake him up.

He groans softly as we help him stand from the bunk.

"I've got him," Leia assures me. "You steer us towards the docking tube."

I give her a nod and head up to the cockpit and stare out at the Rebel fleet. There are several large transports and frigates, GR-75s and Blockade Runners, and dozens of X-Wing and Y-Wing fighters weaving in between them, as if they're on patrol.

I sit in the pilot's seat and steer us towards the large Nebulon-B escort frigate, decreasing the thrust and gently docking with the star cruiser.

"Is that the Millennium Falcon I see?" Zach's voice says over the cockpit radio. The sound of his voice makes me gasp.

"Zach?" I ask quietly.

"Good to hear your voice, Nat," he says, and I can't help but smile, the relief I'm feeling almost reducing me to tears.

"It's good to hear yours too."

A light flashes on the dash, indicating that we've successfully docked with the frigate, and I leave the cockpit and head down to the ramp of the Falcon, joining Leia and Luke as we make our way through the grey tube together. Waiting at the end are three medical staff, two of them holding a stretcher between them, and Zach and Tom, who are both smiling brightly at me.

I don't hesitate to run to Zach, throwing my arms around him and pulling him into a tight hug. I wonder if he has any idea what's happened with Evan.

"I'm fine," I say before he has a chance to ask me the question, and I feel his arms wrap around me and hug me back.

"I know," he replies.

"Really, I am," I insist, coming away from him and looking up at him and his hazel eyes, and he smiles at me. I turn to Tom and pull him into a hug too. "Good to see you again, Major."

"You too, General," he says into my shoulder. He comes away from me and eyes up my arm. "Bloody hell Nat, what happened to you?"

I shrug at him, not wanting to say 'Not important' for the third time today.

"Hey, you!" Zach yells suddenly from behind me, and I turn to find him charging at Lando.

"Don't Zach!" I shout, darting forward and grabbing his forearm before he has a chance to throttle Lando. "He's with us. He helped us get out."

He frowns as he looks between Lando, Leia and I, awaiting confirmation, and Leia nods at him as she helps Luke onto the stretcher. The two medical staff give her a nod before carting him off to be attended to, and she stares after him worryingly.

The third turns to me, a plump, dark-skinned woman in a long-sleeved, grey cotton dress and white apron. She looks as if she's in her mid-forties, her thick black hair, which is greying slightly at the roots, pulled back into a loose ponytail. "Would you care to follow me to your quarters, dear?" she asks kindly, scanning me with her deep brown eyes, and I nod.

"In a moment," I say, turning back to Zach and Lando, wanting to clear up what's happened before I leave. "Trust him, he's on our side now."

"Thank you, Nat," Lando says, smoothing down his tunic and glaring at Zach.