Shuttle Tydirium

Kes and I share a small smile before heading over to the crates resting beside Shuttle Tydirium, and I can't help but glance at the Millennium Falcon as we head past. I let out a small sigh through clenched teeth, the sight of the old hunk of junk reminding me of simpler times. 

"You okay, Nat?" Kes whispers, obviously sensing my unease. 

I nod, a feeling of nervousness gnawing at the pit of my stomach. "It's just what you said... it's got me..." I trail off, my eyes moving to other Rebels bustling about the hangar. "Terrified, if I'm honest," I finally let out in a nervous laugh, fighting the urge to grab Luke and fly away from the impending chaos. Back to Tatooine, or somewhere else fairly remote. Geonosis, Kashyyyk, Utapau, Dagobah even. Just anywhere but here

Kes simply responds with a firm yet comforting pat on my shoulder, and I give him a thankful look. 

Dex and Tom catch my eye too as they stroll into the hangar, their gloved hands entwined, engaged in a joyful conversation, their orange jumpsuits pulled down to their waists. I pause as I stare at them. This could be their last time together, after all. 

"Oi!" I shout, to catch their attention, Kes smirking as he goes over to the stack of crates by the Shuttle. 

"Nat!" Dex calls, Tom raising his other hand to greet me with a wave, and I immediately pull them both into a tight hug. 

"Hey, guys," I say into Dex's shoulder, feeling my stomach churn yet again at what's about to be a rash decision. "I, er, wanted to wish you luck, and..."

Tom frowns at me as we pull apart, raising an eyebrow. "What?"

"Take my ship," I blurt out. "It's the least I can do, and I know you know how to handle her."

"Are you serious?" Dex asks, raising his eyebrows. 

"You're gonna need all the luck you can get out there, and you deserve to be together, if..." I trail off, not wanting to say what may or may not happen to them. 

They understand, their faces turning soft, and Tom nods at me. 

"I'd just like to say, Nat, that if we don't make it out of this alive, its been a pleasure knowing you. And I'd like to thank you for introducing me to the best partner I could have wished for."

Despite the dull tone of grief already in his voice, I can't help but smirk. "Oh, come on, Tom. We all know Dex is perfectly capable of sniffing out the pretty boys by himself."

They both laugh a stressed laugh, and Dex hugs me again, tighter this time. 

"I hope to see you soon, Nat. I love you," he whispers, kissing my cheek. 

"I love you, too, Dex," I whisper back, tears brimming in my eyes. "Stay safe out there."

When I pull away I find Luke entering the hangar, and I nod at the two men, knowing I have to let them go at some point. Tom gives me one final salute as the two of them head off to my ship, disappearing up the ramp without looking back. 

Luke notices my distress and embraces me, and I rest my head on his shoulder. 

"You alright?" he asks me softly, and I nod, lifting my head after a moment, not wanting to make too much of a scene in front of the other pilots, troops and indeed our crew.