Chapter 11 - Mobile Phones and Rushed Showers

ZO'S POV:

The morning glow trickled in through my window and tickled my nose. The blankets crumpled under my body weight as I shifted. I really didn’t want to leave the warmth of my bed and go to work but I knew that I had to so with all my self-motivation, I hoisted myself up and out of the bed, the cold air sinking through my skin almost instantly. Hot shower. I grabbed a towel from my dresser and my work uniform out from my drawer and headed towards the bathroom.

As I padded down the hallway, I heard a quick rap at my apartment door. Out of curiosity, I dumped my clothes on the sink and headed back for the door. I grasped the handle, turned it and revealed to myself an empty space. There was no one at my door. I was just about to close the door, thinking it was a prank but my eyes caught on a black case lying on the floor. On the case was written iPhone 5. So that cheeky bastard did end up buying me a phone. I glanced towards his door and down the stairwell thinking that he would be nearby so I could return the present but he was nowhere to be seen. Out of defeat, I closed the door and headed back inside with the box in my hand. I slid open the lid to reveal a small note in scribbly hand.

Cool girl, no phone

Cheeky boy. He used his lyrics against me. I placed the note on the couch nearby and underneath was a very sleek looking white phone. How much did these things cost? It would have been a lot. Thank goodness I knew how to use them though. I pressed the home button which activated the phone and discovered on the back ground that there was a picture of a little note in a scribbly hand.

Check out your contacts
P.S they already have your number

They? I smiled as I slid my finger across the bottom of the screen and clicked on the contacts app. I opened up and I was revealed with several contacts. I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Teddy

Curly

Nialler

D Payne

Bradford Bad Boi

Tommo

I had no doubt who those extra five contacts were. I had the numbers of Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson. Not to mention Ed Sheeran. I decided I would text him a thank you. Not five seconds later I had a response.

“Anytime love :) What are you up to?”

How was this happening? How do I reply back?

“I was just getting ready for my shower”

I regretted writing that almost as soon as I pressed send. How embarrassing was that? Who says that anyway!

“Is that right?”

Wow. Nice work Zo. Now he probably thinks that you are into sexting... No way out now. Might as well go along with it I guess… Or try and change the subject?

“That was before I found a peculiar package out front my door”

I placed my phone on top of my clothes as I headed into the bathroom. It vibrated again signalling a new message.

“You weren’t naked were you when you went outside? ;)”

Well my plan to change the subject clearly didnt work. But I was obligated to reply.

“Unlike some people I have the decency to wear clothes in public”

This was going to be interesting…

"Some people huh?"

What do I reply to that? I didn’t know. I glanced at the time at the top of the screen and froze. I was going to miss my bus!

"I am going to miss my bus because of you! Stop texting me!"

I ran towards the bathroom, the phone sitting atop my clothes. It buzzed and I glanced down at the screen, in to a frantic mood to pick it up and read it my messages app.

"Okay love. Talk soon x"

I dumped my clothes on the sink and turned the water on. The cold water hit my wrist and made my shiver. I quickly stripped of my clothes and stuck my hand under the water, fiddiling with the temperature taps until the water was to my liking. I didn’t get time to wash my hair like I had previously planned so instead I tied it up in a messy bun and left it as I dove under the water and rinsed off the B.O and dirt. It was twenty minutes later when I burst through my apartment door with my satchel on my arm and my iPod in my ears.

I ran down the stair well, taking the steps two at a time and barrelled through the apartment complex’s main door. The cold wind hit me and made me shudder. I pulled my thick coat tighter across my chest and started a brisk walk towards the bus stop.

Please tell me I made it in time. Please tell me I didn’t miss the bus.

Passer-by’s gave me weird looks as I increased my speed heading directly for the bus stop. When I reached the stop, I fished my new phone out of my pocket and pressed the home button, revealing to me the time. 7:49AM. Hopefully it was running late.

To my luck, as I let my attention drift to the road as to where I came from, I saw the bus. I stuck my hand out, hailing the driver and he pulled over and let me on. It wasn’t Dave. He only did the drives home. I don’t know this man. I placed the designated amount of money in his crinkled hand and headed to my normal backseat, mumbling ‘keep the change’ just loud enough so he could hear. He rewarded me with a smile and the tilt of his newspaper hat. The warm air hit my face as soon as I perched and I sighed as I leant back.

The bus kicked into gear and lurched forward, heading towards the city. Whilst on the move I glanced out the window, watching the pedestrians engage in conversation, busk for their rent and just walk; enjoying the views that London offered. I then realized that I had my ear buds in my ears with no music. I pulled out the tattered iPod and turned it on. I pressed ‘shuffle’ hoping for the best.

I found your hairband on my bedroom floor… The only evidence that you’d been here before

And I don’t get waves of missing you anymore… They’re more like tsunami tides in my eyes

Ed’s voice drifted into my skull and sunk down until it hit my heart, absorbing into my veins. Goosebumps erupted on my skin. His voice had a power over me that I just couldn’t explain.

So am I close to you anymore? If it’s over

And there’s no chance that we’ll work it out

The way his voice drifted through the words almost effortlessly sent my heart and mind into overdrive. I let my thoughts wander. A fair majority of them were about him. What was he doing to me?