Chapter 25 - Stair Terrors and Food

ZO'S POV:

It was true what they say about the loss of a sense. With my sight gone, all my other senses were increased. In the taxi, the smell of cigarette smoke and lolly wrappers polluted my sense of smell, the taste of metal kept landing on my tongue, my fingers were glued together with some sticky substance that my hands had the unfortunate pleasure of accidently touching while sitting down and my hearing was picking up on every single detail.

The wind rushing through the obvious tiny gap in the window, the car horns as we joined in the bustle on the London streets, the car engine humming along to the dingy radio that seemed to play nothing but 80’s rock and roll and the subtle sound of the birds chirping as they swam through the air.

I was situated in the back seat with Ed occupying the front. Every so often I would feel his eyes on me; checking on me. It felt like the sun was set on me like a spot light. I hated being the centre of someone’s attention. I had angled my head towards the sound of the wind so to the driver it would appear that I am just admiring the sights out of my window and I had also hid my cane under my feet so he wouldn’t see it. He wouldn’t pick up on the fact that I am blind.

I had lost count of how many minutes we were driving for but before long, we had pulled to a stop and I heard the crumpling of paper as Ed handed the cab driver his payment. I reached down and grabbed my cane, while my other hand fumbled against the door trying to find the handle. I had popped it open when I felt a hand on my arm, assisting me out of the car.

“Thanks Ed.” I smiled.

“My mum is blind you know.” That wasn’t Ed’s voice. The cab driver? “I had to help her with her shopping and with her life in general. I know it seems like the end – trust me. The old hag never shut up about it. I know you will make it through this my dear. Just push forward.” With a press of his lips against my cheek, the presence at my arm disappeared and a car door was heard opening and closing. I was left alone in the dark for a moment while I waited for Ed to come. Soon I felt a hand grip my own. I knew that small hand anywhere. I gave it a tight squeeze.

“You all good Zo?” He asked before advancing from the sidewalk we were probably standing in the middle of.

“Peachy.” I mocked from his statement earlier. A slight chuckle was given as we walked forward and into our apartment complex. The cold breeze was replaced with a warm sensation as we progressed. A mumbled curse was heard at my side. “What’s wrong Ed?”

“We have to climb the stairs.” He announced with an undertone of anger. I understood why he was getting upset. Hearing the word ‘stair’ made me feel a little queasy. But we went forward anyway. “C’mon love – just a little further.” He led me through the lobby area and towards where I knew the stairs were waiting to be climbed. I kept my cane in front of me with my other hand clinging onto Ed’s. Surely his circulation was cut off now. 

“How close are we?” I asked since my cane still hadn’t come into contact with a step.

“Just a few steps. Keep your cane forward – you should find it soon.” Just like he said, I stuck my cane out to the front. One step. Nothing. Two steps. Nothing. Three steps, four steps, five steps. Nothing. Then on the sixth step, my cane came into contact with wood and made a loud clunk.

“That’s it yeah?”

“You found it.” He said with a side of distaste. He knew this was going to be painful for both of us. 
After a few more steps, my foot tapped the first step. I raised my foot and placed it down. We were two flights up. A lot could happen in two flights of stairs. Someone else could come barrelling down past me and bowl me over, I could slip, I could whack Ed with my stick, he could fall over and end up taking me with him or we could just fall. It would be painful too. Wooden steps hurt like a bitch.

“Zo? You alright love? You’re breathing a little heavy over there.” A hand was on the small of my back, rubbing circles. “Do… Do you want me to carry you today? We can work on the stairs when you’re rested up.” I nodded a bit too quickly, causing my head to ache. “Okay… You ready? I’m gonna need you to wrap your hand around my neck.” With my hand already in his, I released his hand and worked my way up his arm, past his strong shoulder until I reached the nape of his neck. I wrapped my other hand around and intertwined my fingers at the back.

I felt him descend and a pair of arms wrap around my body; one arm under my legs and one wrapping tightly around my back. The next thing I knew I was off the ground and in Ed’s arms.  My hands involuntarily wrapped tighter around his neck as he rearranged me in his arms, making sure I was comfortable.

“Is that okay?”

“Peachy.” I responded, my inner goddess clapping her hands together enthusiastically. I was being carried by Ed Sheeran. 

“Is that the word of the day or something?” He laughed. His laugh was infectious. 

“I guess it is.” I smiled. 

With one hand around the bottom of my legs and one hand gripping tightly to my waist, he began walking with me pressed flushed against his body. I rested my head against his chest, it acting as the perfect pillow.

My eyes are a river-filler

This drink is a liver-killer

My chest is a pillow for your weary head to lay to rest again

His lyrics struck me as I lived them out. It was quite snug though. I wasn’t surprised that he wrote a lyric about how pillow-like his chest was.  From under the confines of his rib cage, I could hear the gentle thump, thump of his heartbeat. It honestly was a perfect sound; almost like a lullaby.

“You already commented on my heartbeat love. I get it – you like how it sounds.” He laughed. I mentally face-palmed when I came to the realization that I had obviously spoken my thoughts again. “Let’s just get you to bed alright?” He rubbed my waist with his thumb, causing goose-bumps to hatch to life under my clothing. But then he froze. 

“We there already?” I questioned, sticking my cane out behind us, whacking a wall on both sides.

“No. It’s just that… If you sleep in your apartment… I won’t be able to take proper care of you – even if I sleep in there with you. I don’t know it as well as mine. But if you feel more comfortable in your apartment… we could give it a shot.”

I yawned and covered my mouth with my hand, weariness suddenly hitting me like a brick. I swear I could hear sleep beckoning me from a pillow nearby. “Can I sleep in your apartment? It smells pretty – like vanilla. Mine smells like shower cleaner.” 

A genuine laugh. “Sure thing.” We continued up the stairs for another short while until he turned on a diagonal angle and we were on flat ground. He gave his apartment a light shove as we waltzed inside. He still clung to me though.

“Uh… Ed?”

“What is it, love?” He asked sweetly.

“You can put me down now.” I said matter-of-factly. He cleared his throat and guided my feet back to the ground as I untangled my hands from around his neck.

“Sorry about that.” He announced awkwardly. 

“It’s fine. Where am I sleeping?”

“Uhh...” Silence. I would assume he was taking in his surroundings. “You can sleep in my room. But before you think of sleeping I want to get some proper food into you.”

“2 Minute Noodles isn’t proper food.” I joked.

“Fajitas coming up!” He cheered. I had to laugh. Then his footsteps trailed away. I clung my cane in my hand and held it out to the front of me, feeling around for a chair so I wasn’t awkwardly standing in the middle of the room. It smashed into a soft but sturdy piece of furniture and on advancing it I discovered it was a sofa chair. I smiled and approached it, soon collapsing on the comfortable material. From the kitchen a slight yell drifts to me.

“Don’t you dare fall asleep on me now!” Followed by the slamming of a cupboard shelf and the rattle of the cutlery draw being closed.

“If you keep making all that noise, I don’t think anyone would dare to do something that horrific.” I mumbled sassily.