Chapter 28 - Waking Up to Kisses

ED'S POV:

I awoke to free sunlight cracking through my glass, tickling my nose. As my senses came to me, my vision came to showing me my bedroom, scattered with clothes – clean and dirty, old magazines and my many, many guitars. The smell of vanilla wafted around the room and melted into the pores on my skin, giving me the aroma that I dragged around with me every day. But another smell was there. Freshly baked cookies. My feelings picked up as I felt a sturdy body under my arm. I tilted my head to the side as I was presented with Zo.

She had rolled over in her sleep and was now facing me. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was so even, so calm, so serene. Involuntarily my hand rose from her side as the back of my fingers stroked her cheek. I let my gaze inspect her. The scratches on her face were starting to recede but I knew that the scar would be permanent – forever leaving a thin white line on her features, flawing her naked skin. I ran the pad of my thumb along the mark, feeling the lump of scar tissue. It pained me to think that I was the reason her skin was damaged. Forever marked with something so horrid. She would hate me for ruining her.

I let my thumb trace down her easy features, taking in the small bumps of freckles and birthmarks, the overall powdery feel that it gave off. These sorts of things would be of a frivolous nature to her, but to me, every single one of her features intrigued me. I ran my thumb down her nose and when I reached its tip, it twitched. I retracted my hand quickly, scared of her waking up and even more scared of her waking up with my hand on her face.

What would she think?

Her eyelids started to flutter and soon the lids peeled back, showing me her eyes. Her eyes that made me feel like I was staring down at a forest – with the tops of green and the streaks of brown oak. They stared straight forward, straight through me. Her tree-top green eyes looked like they were searching for something. That something didn’t exist to her anymore. That something was a something that she would never be able to experience again. Her sight was forever lost. Her mouth opened wide as she let out a contagious yawn, causing me to follow suite with a wide mouth.

“Good morning Ed.” She half yawned, half spoke. “How long were you staring at me for?”

I could feel the blush growing deep in my cheeks. “Uh... Not… not very long.” I stuttered.

Very believable Sheeran

She smiled, her hand coming up to rub her neck. The bandage from last night had become tinged with red and the bandage had become quite loose on her hand.

“How about I fix your hands up with some more bandages and make you some breakfast?”

She whined like a five year old causing me to chuckle. “Please don’t leave me. Not yet.” She leaned in and buried her gentle face into my chest. I froze like a scarecrow. How could I feel so familiar around her and yet so worried of scaring her away at the same time? “You’re warm.” She muttered against my flimsy t-shirt. I lifted my own hand up from her body and stroked her hair. The way it had curled this morning reminded me of my 2 minute noodles. I looked down at her head and studied her hair. Each curl was different from the other. Some managing a full curl like a pigs tail while other strands gave up on the curl and hang in a gentle wave. My fingers glided through her tendrils, leaving my fingers craving more. She hummed against my chest, her sweet voice like choclate drops melting in the oven.

“So is this you turning down a serving of Ed Sheeran pancakes?” 

Now it was her turn to freeze. She retracted her head from my chest and leaned back so I had full view of her face.

“You said jack-squat about pancakes. All you said was breakfast.” Then she was shoving at my chest. “Go, go, go!” She yelled at me, laughing. I had to laugh to but I hoisted myself up and off the bed, my feet coming into contact with the cold flooring. 

“I’ll be back with the bandages in a minute love.” I told her as I walked from the bed to the bathroom which was conveniently adjoined to the bedroom. When my feet came into contact with the cold tiles, shivers ran through my body. I made my way over to the draws and pulled out the spare bandages. I grabbed a handful of fabric, a bottle of peroxide, cotton balls, the metal clips that hold it all together and after closing the draw back up again, I headed back out to Zo on the bed.

I made sure I was quiet when I stepped foot into the bedroom. She had shifted herself into a sitting position and was staring in my general direction, waiting for me to return to the bed. I stopped walking and watched her. Her curly brown hair had fallen over her shoulders and her slight fringe framed her face perfectly. Even through her closed mouth, I could see she was slightly gnawing on her bottom lip. Her hands lay in her lap as she picked at her nails, the polish slightly peeling. I watched as her mouthed twitched upwards and she giggled.

“I know you’re there Ed.” Her smile grew even more – if that was even possible. “Are you just gonna stand there?” She asked, smug.
I was dumbfounded. “How did you know?” I started making my way over to the bed arranging the bandages in my hand.

“I could hear you breathing,” still smug.

“Oh.”

She laughed as I made my way back up onto the bed, sitting close to the end. She turned around so she was facing me. I scooted forward and grabbed her hand. I felt her flinch away from my sudden movement. I released it.

“Sorry love.” I apologized, my voice cracking.

“It’s fine.” She said as she shook it off.

She lifted her hand back upwards and I gently gripped it in my own, starting to un-wrap the bandages that currently covered her torn skin. Soon, they were removed and I was wiping away the dried blood with the peroxide and cotton balls. The scratches didn’t look so serious now. Just scrapes. But images of seeing Zo shattered like the glass that had littered the floor broke something inside me. Seeing her blood leak out and coat the floor below made me feel like I had failed at protecting her. It destroyed me seeing her like that. I never wanted to see her like that again.

After I had wiped the hand clean, I wrapped it up tightly, joining it all together with a clip and moved on to her other hand. Still not as serious but still damaged. I was finished cleaning it and was just about to finish wrapping up her last hand when her other lifted and rested itself on my cheek. I looked up to her, finding her eyes still looking like they were searching for something. Her smile was twitchy as her fingertips rubbed soothingly on my skin.

As I finished wrapping her palm in bandages, I entwined our fingers, leaning forward so I could lean my forehead against hers. When our heads made contact, I closed my eyes, savouring this feeling of comfort and familiarity. We rested like that for a minute, her hand dropping from my face as my own came up to caress her flesh. Her hands moved from her lap where they had fallen and crawled so they were scratching my knee teasingly. I chuckled and moved my lips to meet hers. The smile shone through the kiss, making it generally pleasing. Her hands moved to the back of my neck, tangling into my hair as my own pair moved to her sides, trailing down her curvy figure until they rested on her waist, gripping tightly.

I pulled her into me so her legs were either side of me, straddling me. She had to lean down to kiss me now seeing as she was slightly taller which made it all the more fun for me. I gave a little laugh as she bent down and gave me a kiss. I broke away not long after to shower her exposed skin with gentle and passionate kisses. I started at her upper arm, working my way higher as she leant forward, permitting me access to her neck. I pushed her hair aside as I kissed and sucked gently along the frail skin at the base of her neck. I low moan erupted in her throat, again causing me to chuckle.

She returned back to her original pose as she brought another tender kiss down on my lips. She tasted like fajitas and strawberries. With my hands on her waist, I rubbed tenderly with my thumbs urging the shirt to rise and grant me permission to a new area of skin. I gently gripped and pulled her closer to me as we continued to lock lips. I trailed my tongue along her plump bottom lip, gladly being accepted. Our tongues danced like it were prom, tangling in hot passion or dancing in the rain.  

author note:
p.s
if you dont get major feels from the attached gif
...
i am judging you intencely [i cant spell]
kisses from me,
xxx