Chapter 24 - Decisions and Going Home

ED'S POV:

It had been a few more days now. The cold breeze from the window was flushed against the back of my neck, sending chills down my spine while I was held Zo’s hand, waiting for the doctor to finish his final checks.

“Looks like… yep. You’re all good to go home.” Then he looked at me. “Can I talk to you for a minute Mr Sheeran?”

I bent down and kissed Zo’s shaking hand. “I won’t be long love. I’ll be back soon.” She gave me a tight smile and her grip on my hand loosened. I followed the doctor out of the suite and into the hallway. He then turned on me with a sombre expression. 

“You do understand Mr Sheeran that with Zo being in the condition that she is, she won’t be able to return to her normal life, correct?” I nodded. “For her wellbeing, she will need a full time guide to assist her with her everyday life.”

Then he paused and his look turned from sad to serious.

“The question I am asking you is will you be willing to become Zo’s guide? I understand that with your job being an internationally re-known singer you are offered travel around the world but if you were to become Zo’s guide, you would have to give that up. The only reason I am offering you this position is because we have noticed that she is very dependent on you and whether that be from a history together or if feelings have developed, we need her to feel comfortable with her guide. We will pay you a fair sum of money per week to help you and Zo.” With that, he started to walk away from me and towards the elevator. “I will give you a day to come up with an answer. For now, you can take Zo home.” Then he turned on his heel and left me standing there alone.

I was told to put my job in front of you

But it won’t hold me like you do

The lyrics to my own song, ‘Gold Rush’ came into my head as I sauntered back to Zo. She hadn’t moved and was still propped up against her pillow. She must have heard my footsteps because as soon as I came close to her bed, she spoke out.

“Ed?” Her hands rose and she began moving them around slowly, trying to locate me. I raised my arm up to her so she could grab a hold of me. Her left hand bumped into my arm and she quickly grasped it and intertwined her fingers with mine. “What did the doctor talk to you about?” 

I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly. “He wanted to talk to me about what is gonna happen after you are let out today…”

“What about it?” She urged. I just had to say it

“He said that when you leave the hospital you won’t be able to return to a normal life…” I let that hang in the air for a little longer then I should have. Her face fell and her fingers started twitching. I returned to my spot back on the bed by her side. I gripped her hand and her fingers instantly latched onto mine in return. Her skin felt rough and course against my own, sending shivers down my spine. “He said that you will be in need of a guide when you get back home to help you out with everyday things and he suggested… that… that I take the job.”

She froze. “But… but you can’t.” She was stuttering now.

“Why not?” 

“Because you will have to start travelling soon for your tour - it’s in a few months.” Her fingers squeezed hard on mine, causing me to start twitching. I used my other hand to rub over hers in an attempt to calm her down.

“I have decided that I am postponing it.”

“No… no, no, no, no…” She mumbled.

“What’s wrong Zo?” I rubbed my hand further up her arm, trying hard to comfort her. It didn’t seem to be working.

“I won’t let you do that for me. It’s too much. Music is your job, your career, your life. I won’t just sit here and let myself strip you of your-”

I slammed my lips against hers, completely rendering her speechless. This kiss had more passion then the one that she had dealt me a few days ago. I wrapped my hand up in her hair and she, in turn, tangled her hands in mine. While one hand stayed in her hair, one travelled down her arm, down her stomach and rested on her thigh, rubbing small circles. Her back arched and I knew I had to break away before things got a little… heated. It was right in time too. 

“Miss Erikson, Mr Sheeran. We ready to go today?” The nurse at the door greeted as with a smile, obviously oblivious to what she could have been interrupting if she had been standing at that door only a few seconds before. I glanced at Zo’s face and found that not only a smile was plastered on her face from the news of leaving today but her cheeks were tinted a light pink.

Good on you Sheeran! My subconscious cheered.

I shook it off and hopped off the bed and helped Zo stand. In the past few days, she had been wondering around the hospital practising her walking. She had been given a cane to help her navigate her way around. With a guide by her side to help her on corners or on stairs, she was almost like the same Zo that I had walked with to Starbucks. That felt like years ago. To think it was less than a month ago.

“Mr Sheeran, would you please come with me to sign Miss Erikson’s discharge papers?” I glanced back to Zo who was now standing at my side, her hand in mine with her cane in front of her tapping on the wall. 

“Zo can come to right?”

The nurse gave me a sympathetic smile. “Of course. This way.” She led us down a corridor and to a desk where I signed at least twenty dotted lines. But soon after we were walking out the doors to the hospital and Zo was greeted with her first genuine breath of fresh air since… SMACK!

“Ow!” I exclaimed. I flung my head around to Zo who had whacked my shin with her cane. 

“I am so sorry Ed! Are you okay?”

I bent down, placing a hand to the sensitive area and winced when I pressed down. “Peachy, love; just peachy.” I stood back up and took a step, trying extremely hard to hide the fact that it felt like she had just snapped a bone in my leg. “Come on – lets go home.”

hey kiddies,
so um im sorry for the kiss scene straight after the first one
i just had to
it cant be that bad...
sorry for the chapter being so shitty
i feel like im getting hell sloppy
sorry you have to read through my sloppiness
thanks for reading though :)
kisses from me,
xx