-Chapter one- The Stranger I Met At The Cafe

I am Cornelia Zephoria Hartfell the VI. My brother, Roman Zeniah Hartfell the X and I were once very respected noblemen of our country until war hit us and we fled.

Our old country was a small but beautiful open greenland with many quiet villages spread about. The country of De Torra that is now overrun by Agrath troops. The poor people that are now subject to the tyranny of the Agrath king.

My parents, brothers, sister, and I lived in a castle on the coast. It was a very quiet place that sat on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Such a peaceful place and good memories. That was a year ago now. One year since Agarth raided our country and slaughtered many of its people, including our parents.and siblings.

We now reside in Cilicia of the royal family of Seli, the largest country. Hopefully safe from Agarth armies. Well... at least for now.

"Nell! I need you in here!" Roman yelled from the other room.

We were both living in an abandoned apartment building. I was lying on a torn up mattress that was positioned next to the only window in the room, when Roman yelled for me from the hallway.

Roman was in the middle of a deal selling weapons or something to some gang or whatever. I never bothered with his business, I'm not ever sure what he does honestly. I never really ask him about it either. I don't really care, it pays for the food, so I don't need to ask.

Roman called again from the other room, so I got up from the mattress and slowly made my way through the doorframe where there once was a door and into the hallway.

"What?" I was slightly annoyed at Roman at yelling for me.

He looked at me and gave me a look that said 'watch it, kid'. I rolled my eyes and waited for him to say something.

"Can you go get the bag under the table please?" Roman asked, but it was more of a command.

I nodded and left to get his bag.

I scanned the room from right to left until I found it right beside me against the wall, under the three legged table. I grabbed the black duffle bag and walked back to the other room.

"Here you go." I handed him the bag.

"Thanks." Roman said as he took it.

I then left again from the room and through the doorless frame. I grabbed my hoodie and walked down the stairs and out the building.

Fresh air hit me as I opened the heavy, rusted door. It was windy out so I flipped up my hood and headed down the empty street into the city of Coral. It was a few minutes walk to the city from C zone, which I was just in.

C zone, one of the 'abandoned' cities. They were never really abandoned though. Many people lived there. Mostly criminals, poor people and rebels.

My brother and I being on the run have lived in many different abandoned cities across the country which all were quite populated. The other cities however, the ones that aren't abandoned, are packed full of people. It's super busy. People yelling at each other across the street, cars honking, gangs hanging out in the alleys, waiting for an opportunity to strike. And one major difference is the technology advancements. The abandoned cities dont have power of any kind. And typically the major cities are fenced and guarded. So getting in you have to know where to go so you dont get electrocuted or caught.

There have been times when I sneak into the city I see people being dragged by the military police from the fence where they came through and beaten. It's really messed up. Not that I dont see some messed up things in the abandoned cities. In fact it happens more often here.