Chapter Fourteen - Pressure and Secrets

Chapter Fourteen

"Where is Tina?" I ask myself. We are all waiting at the door for Tina to let us in for work and she hasn't appeared yet and no one has the spare key. "Josh where's your grandmother she should be here." Josh runs a hand through his brown hair frustratedly.

"Tori, I don't know okay? Damn it, I'm as worried as you are." Josh snaps, I put my head down.

"Hey, Tori was just was just being concerned no need to snap," Natalie says putting an arm around me. Thanks Natalie.

"Shut it chocolate-vanilla-swirl." Josh says, smirking a bit. Josh calls Natalie that because when the hairdresser was dyeing Natalie's hair she didn't do it properly now there's like bits of brown sticking out, so Josh teases her all the time.

Natalie rolls her eyes in response. I decide to call Tina she's always early the diner was going to open in thirty minutes and we still aren't ready. I dial in her number and it rings numerous times, I step aside away from the others and accept the call.

"Tina are you okay?" I say sharply into the phone.

"Hi, I'm nurse Angie. I'm taking care of Tina, she's resting right now since she's not. . .feeling well, what's your relation to her?" The nurse asks. 

"She's like my own grandmother. Look, I'm on my way to the hospital right now I'll be there soon." Before the nurse can say anything in response I sprint to the car park hearing Josh and my other co-workers call my name., I ignore it and get in my car and driving as quickly as I can (abiding the speed limit of course).

* * * * * *

"I'm here f-for Tina Fletcher." I pant, I am unhealthy.

"Hmm, your relation." The secretary asks.

"Em. . .uh. . . I'm her grandsons girlfriend." I lie through my teeth.

"Okay then she's in room 18A."

"Thank you." I speed off the hallway into room. I stop when I get into the room and the sight in front of me breaks my heart. Tina is lying on the bed she's pale. "What. . .what's happening?" I ask the nurse stepping into the room slowly.

"Well for a while Tina has had cancer - stage three to be exact, she's had it for about two months." Nurse Angie explains sadly. I look over at Tina wriggling in her bed then she wakes up.

"Tori," Tina's broken voice says.

"Hi. . .," I reply unsure of what to say next.

"I'm going to leave the two of you alone, Tina call me if you need anything." Nurse Angie says leaving the room.

"You found out huh?" Tina says softly looking out the window.

I purse my lips. "How could you not tell me Tina, most importantly your grandson?"

"I didn't want him to know he'll go back to his old ways, smoking and stuff," Tina says looking at me. Oh. . .Tina doesn't know that Josh still smokes.

"When did you find out you had cancer?" I ask sitting in the chair beside the bed Tina is laying on.

"When you and Josh left." She sighs, "but everyone's got a time to die and mines now."