Chapter Twenty-Three - Daniel and Missing You

"Listen Tori, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with living with your ex-boyfriends older brother," My mom says James nods. He's leaving today thank God.

"I'll be paying my part of the rent," I try to convince her eating my porridge.

My moms sighs and shakes her head, "You haven't met him."

"I'm facing timing him tonight, it's the same as skyping for your information," I snap sipping my orange juice.

"Tori, you don't talk to your mother like that you're eighteen not eight," James sternly says. I roll my eyes.

"You weren't there even when I was eight," I fold my arms, I put my left over porridge in the bin and I drink the rest of my orange juice.

"I'm sorry," I apologise to my mom, "I'm stressed with NYU and everything."

My mom walks over hugging me, "I trust you and Josh's brother."

"Thanks mom."

* * * * *

"Okay, can you see us? See us?" Josh asks into the iPad. I hear a deep grunt and Josh and I look at each other.

A face pops up, a guy who looks a bit like Josh, not too much though.

"Hey Josh," Daniel greets with no shirt on and I groan mentally.

"Hey, put a shirt on," Josh says leaning on the arm of the chair.

"No, oh hi stranger," Daniel greets awkwardly noticing me finally, I wave back as awkward.

"Was this the girl you were talking about that's going to room with me?" Daniel questions running a hand through his brown—almost black—hair. Josh nods once glancing at me then the iPad Air's screen. Daniel takes out a page from his sweatpants, he opens it and Josh and I look at each other confused as ever.

"So this is what's going to happen," Daniel strictly says focusing on me, "The rent I pay is eight-hundred dollars monthly, we're going to spilt that four-hundred each.

"How -"

Daniel cuts me off, "You are probably wondering how you're going to get that kind of money yeah?" I nod quickly afraid so speak.

Daniel glances down at his paper, "Well I work as a lifeguard at my local swimming pool, I have put in a word for you saying my 'girlfriend' wants a job and has no where to go—of course you being my fake girlfriend—now do you have any kind of experience, do you swim?" He says this all too quickly. I try and process what he just said but it feels impossible.

"Erm, well I used to be on my schools swimming team in middle school," I shrug and Josh sighs so does his brother.

"Well watch swimming videos on YouTube because the second week you get settled, you're going to the local swimming pool to be a lifeguard," Daniel says folding up the paper.

This was a freaking bad idea.

"How long is it going to take me to walk to the university?" I ask shakily.

"Walking distance fifteen minutes, bus about maybe ten because of NY traffic, and by car eight minutes," he explains Josh and I look at him stunned he sure knows NY.