ch.28 Stay

Zayn stared at me and swallowed hard. A few hairs from his usually perfect quiff had fallen over his eye and a drop of sweat slipped from his brow. He looked absolutely torn.

As much as he wanted me to stay in his castle until the day we both died, I knew he didn't want to force me to love him. It was much better when we were both happy and willing, but that was before I knew Sebastian was kept as a prisoner.

But now Zayn's life depended on me staying. I bet Madame Linelle had planned everything in the last few months, from the necklace to the trip, to Zayn keeping me as his prisoner and then finding Sebastian.

Madame Linelle touched Zayn's shoulder and he looked up at her. 

She whispered something in his ear. 

Suddenly, Zayn's eyes burst with the crimson flame that only appeared when he was under his curse, or, when he was furious. 

I took a hesistant step back but moving another inch would leave permanent bruises on my arm.

"I refuse to die!" Zayn declared.

I didn't dare blink.

"He!" Zayn pointed at Sebastian. "He is going to die"

"NO! Zayn, please!" I begged hopelessly. 

Zayn ignored me and rushed over to Sebastian. Jimmy lunged forward, but two more guards ran over and held him back.

"ZAYN!" I screamed. My voice cracked.

Zayn threw his head back and laughed.

"I hate you!" I hissed.

Zayn swallowed nervously.

I coughed.

I didn't mean it completely, but right now, yes, I did and would hate him to death if he killed Sebastian. Zayn should just let me and Sebastian go back to our cozy homes in the south and Zayn can stay here on his exotic island and find another commoner girl to kidnap and fall in love with.

Zayn closed his eyes and took a deep breath, but instead of calming him, it infuriated every muscle in his body.

"TIGHTEN HIS GODDAMN CHAINS!" Zayn bellowed.

"NO!" I pleaded.

The guards ignored me and obeyed Zayn's order. Sebastian gasped as every chain holding him down started to pull at his limbs and choke his throat.

"ZAYN! PLEASE, I'M BEGGING YOU!" I screamed unitl my voice was hoarse.

Zayn glared at me. His lashes scrunched together in both longing and frustration. He turned to Sebastian again and laughed as Sebastian coughed.

"You were never welcome on my island" Zayn hissed.

The guards tightened Sebastian's chains. Sebastian's hands trembled as his throat quivered for air.

Zayn grew impatient with the guards and he shoved them aside. He grabbed Sebastian's neck and started choking him.

Sebastian coughed and gasped for air, but Zayn squeezed tightly. I grabbed a fistful of my hair and screamed. Zayn ignored me and continued to push at Sebastian's last few moments of life.

Desperate and delusional, I searched the room for something to distract Zayn. But there was nothing. Nothing but more bolts and chains and metal beds. 

I stared at Zayn's chest, just over his screwed up heart.

"I WILL STAY WITH YOU"

Zayn let go of Sebastian's neck almost immediately.