Chapter five: gain one, lose one

Lunch time came and I knew I wouldn’t be able to sit with Harry. I walked in the cafeteria and went in line to buy an apple. Tara came up next to me.

          “Hey Charlotte… People were telling me what happened in homeroom. Are you okay?” she asked putting her hand on my shoulder.

“People are talking? How do they know? It was only Harry and I!” I said confused.

          “Harry was venting to Brandon and Brandon got mad that Harry yelled at you and they got in a fight in science.” Tara said. I just turned around and left the line and started walking to the exit of the cafeteria.  Tara started following me and telling me to wait. I turned around to listen.

          “Charlotte, what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know. Just everything! Why is he doing this? Just randomly, he started acting like this. And I- I don’t like the new Harry.” I started to cry… again.

          “Like what? What is he acting like? What did he do?” She asked. She tried her best to comfort me but I wouldn’t let her.

“He’s making himself distant from me, he canceled our plans and he has a girlfriend. We used to tell each other everything.” Tara’s face dropped. She removed my hand from my shoulder, and stepped back a little.

          “Charlotte. I- I have to tell you something important. I am Harry’s girlfriend.  We’ve been going out since the beginning of summer.” She said fidgeting with her fingers.

“Since Summer?!” I backed away and just left the cafeteria. I ran to Joe’s classroom and walked by the door.

          “Uh I’m going home early, so I won’t be in class but I’ll see you later, okay? Bye.” I rushed away from his door before he could say another word. I walked outside to my car, and sat there. I wasn’t sad anymore, I was just angry. I finally drove home and I parked my car in the driveway and out the car. I made my way to my door. I went inside and crashed on the couch in the family room.

          Without me knowing, a few hours passed. I felt my mom tapping my shoulder. I cracked my eyes open slightly. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

          “Charlotte, Harry’s here.” My mom said as she walked toward the stairs. I heard her go upstairs. I sat up slowly, and that’s when I saw Harry.

“What are you doing here?” I said blankly.

          “When was it ever a problem that I came here?” Harry said as he made his way to the couch across from me.

“Ever since you’ve been acting like a total ass.” I said to him as I adjusted myself on the couch. His eyes went wide.

          “Woah, woah! Language! I came here to talk to you about everything. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about my girlfriend-”

“Tara” I said.

          “How’d you know?” he asked confused.

“She told me. But why?”

          “Because I was desperate and lonely. I don’t know!” he yelled. It was quiet for a while.

          “Are you happy?” I asked. He was shocked at my question. He looked at me and nodded. “Well that’s all that matters… right?” he nodded again. I started to walk away but I was stopped by Harry’s raspy voice.

“Are you happy? He asked. I didn’t respond. I just looked at him. He repeated the question. “Are you happy? With your boyfriend?” he asked. I nodded and mumbled ‘yea’.  Harry’s face was blank and he got up from the couch. He ran his fingers threw his curly hair and sighed heavily. He walked to the door. He stood there looking at me with weary eyes. I didn’t want him to leave because if he did, then I knew he wouldn’t come back.