Chapter fourteen: okay, i am jealous

It was the evening of the Senior Supper. I was so excited. I decided not wear anything too fancy so I stuck with a white dress with brown vintage buttons going down the center. It went to my knees. I slid on nude high heels on my slim feet. I put my hair in a ponytail and curled it. I kept the makeup simple and natural.

          I inspected myself in the mirror and for once, I was pleased on how I looked. I heard a knock on the door assuming it was Collin. I made my way downstairs and saw Collin talking to my parents. They stopped talking when they saw me walking down the stairs. They just stared at me. I started to feel a little insecure.

          “Do I look that bad?” I asked.

“N-no. You look beautiful.” Collin said, not taking his eyes off of me.

          “Thanks.” I blushed.

“Let me get a picture!” My mom gushed.

          “Ma, it’s a dinner, not prom!” I complained but I eventually gave in. We finally left my house. We walked to Collins car. I got in the passenger seat surprised he drove a Lincoln Navigator. The car ride was quiet until Collin spoke up.

          “You know Harry’s bringing a date.”

“Really? Who?!”

          “He didn’t say. All I know is that he really likes her.” Collin said.

“Awh! I’m so happy for him!” I gushed. Oh no! I’m starting to sound like my mother!

          About fifteen minutes later, we arrived at the banquet hall. Collin and I walked in hand in hand. The hall was loud but the music wasn’t even playing yet. People were being seated at their tables and talking amongst themselves. I spotted Harry and walked over to him.

          “Charlotte, Collin this Madison –“

“Santucci! Oh my gosh!” I screamed. She had a shocked expression on her face. We both ran and hugged each other.

          “I haven’t seen you in forever!” Madison shouted.

“I know! You look great!” And honestly, she did. She had perfect teeth, perfect hair… you get the idea. I looked over and Collin was standing there awkwardly.

          “Collin, this is my friend Madison from grade school.” I introduced them. He politely smiled at her. We all sat down at our table and began talking and eating.

          Approximately an hour passed and I was getting bored. I sat at the table while Harry and Madison were dancing, and Collin was who knows where doing who knows what. I heard the room get quiet and a lot of whispering started going on. I scanned the room and saw a girl from my math class sitting at a table near me. I called her over.

          “What’s up Charlotte?” Katie asked.

“What is everyone talking about?”

          “Mr. Benzoli and his date just arrived.” She replied and walked back to her table. My eyes shot over to the entrance of the banquet hall and that’s when I saw him with her. Jealousy ran through my body as I saw his hand placed lightly on her tiny waist. I looked up at her and unfortunately, she was very pretty. Her blonde hair was long. She had blue eyes and perfect teeth; and not to mention, she was very fit. I huffed. I stared at them. They both had huge smiles plastered on their faces. I guess they got along very well.

          “Hello? Charlotte?” I snapped out of my thoughts as I noticed Harry was waving his hand in front of my face.

“Oh sorry.” I apologized.

          “No need to apologize love.” He assured me.

“Mr. Benzoli really bought her here.” Collin exclaimed. I looked down uncomfortably. Harry cleared his throat loudly sensing I felt awkward. Madison, thankfully, suggested that we go dance.

          Collin and I danced for a while to the upbeat tunes, and then of course, the DJ decided to turn on a slow song. I accepted to dance with Collin. As we swayed to the music, I watched Joe and his date do the same. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away but now quick enough. I felt Collin’s eyes on me.

          “Char, what’s wrong?” He asked me worriedly.

“Nothing.”

          “Don’t tell me it’s nothing. You’re crying.”

“I was just thinking about – my ex.” I mumbled.

          “No, no. Don’t think about him. He’s the past. He’s gone.” Collin began to ramble on. My eyes went to the ground trying to ignore what he was saying.

“Charlotte, look at me. You deserve better than that bastard that broke your heart… maybe someone like me.” Collin finished. I was completely shocked. I didn’t know how to respond; but then I thought he was right. I should move on and forget about Joe. So yes, I just did the expected, usual, cliché thing to do at the moment. I kissed him. At first he didn’t respond, but eventually started to kiss me back.

          The dinner was boring, so Collin and I decided to head out. We drove to a lake near-by and sat on the doc with our feet in the water.

          “So…” Collin started.

“About tonight…” I continued.

          “You regret, don’t you?” He cut me off.

“Actually, it’s the exact opposite. It’s what I needed.” I stated. Collin smiled and carefully snaked his arm around my shoulder. I rested my head on his shoulder and started at the beautiful view of the lake.