Chapter twenty-one: disbelief

After the conference, I started to walk home. I walked passed Harry’s house, about to walk on my lawn until I was stopped by a deep, raspy voice.

          “Charlotte, I’m about to go to the mall to shop for prom. Do you want to go?” He asked being incredibly shy but cute at the same time. I thought about it. I didn’t want to be home when Brian got home yet I didn’t want to be a lone with Harry.

“Um yeah. I should probably get a dress.” I chuckled. He smiled sweetly as we walked over to his parents Range Rover. The drive to the mall was quiet besides the radio playing in the background. We finally arrived at the local mall. Harry thought it would be good for me to find a dress first so he can get a tie to match it.

          Two hours and thirty seven dresses later, I finally found my prom dress. It was beautiful. I didn’t want to stand out too much so I tried to stay away from those poofy dresses. My dress was a cream color ball gown with a heart shape line and beads at the top. I bought matching heels and pearl accessories. I paid for it and the total for everything came up to $402.65 which I guess is okay for prom, right? Anyway, Harry and I went to Macy’s to buy him a simple white shirt and black bow tie.

          We stayed at the mall for a while, just walking around and spending time together like old times. It wasn’t as awkward as I thought it would be. Harry dropped me off at home after we were asked to leave the mall because it was about to close. I went to my front door and unlocked it. I waved him off goodbye as I watched him pull into his driveway. I walked inside the house and went straight upstairs to my bedroom. I hung my dress on my double closet door and threw the rest of my bags on the floor.

          “What the hell is wrong with you?!” My mom’s voice startled me.

“What?” I questioned.

          “Why would you say all of that in front of your principal and Mr. Benzoli? You completely embarrassed us, and humiliated your father!” She yelled.

“Oh did I embarrass you? I’m terribly sorry, I would never want to do that!” I yelled sarcastically.

          “Mom, it’s not my fault Bryan’s an ass! And don’t call him my father because he’s not!” I shouted.

“Charlotte, I’m done with you! You’ve been lying to us, and not trusting us! All we ever done is love you.”

          “Really? If you really loved me, you would have told me the truth years ago. Why can’t you and Bryan just be happy for me that I’ve found someone?”

“Because he hurt you once; he’ll do it again! And you won’t even let us meet him!”

          “You wouldn’t approve.” I mumbled.

“How do you know if you don’t try! Charlotte, I’m seriously trying so hard to help you and be in your life but you keep pushing me away!”

          “Fine, you want to know who I’m dating?” I asked. She nodded vigorously.

          “It’s Mr. Benzoli!” She looked very pissed when I said that. I didn’t know what to expect in her reaction.

“I am tired of your lies! Just go to bed. We’ll talk later” She huffed and walked out the door. I couldn’t believe she was that pissed off at me when I just told her the truth! Honestly, right now, I just want everything to be normal again. I miss getting along with my family. I miss being able to trust them. I decided to just forget everything and go bed for the night.

           I woke up and felt like complete and utter shit. I quickly went in the shower. I put on skinny jeans, a loose grey pullover hoodie, and my brown boots. I threw my hair in a somewhat high ponytail and walked out the door before my parents could say anything to me. I was running a bit late so Harry had probably already left which was good because honestly didn’t want to deal with him right now.

          I arrived to homeroom as soon as the bell rang. I sat in my desk. I sat there anticipating for the bell to ring until I noticed Joe wasn’t in homeroom. I texted him, asking him where he was. I looked outside and saw his car was parked in his usual place so I knew he was here. I turned over to Harry to see if he had seen him today.

          “Harry, where’s Joe?” I whispered.

“Mrs. Aveen called him in her office a while ago.” He said. I huffed wondering why he was in there during homeroom.

          The day went by very slowly. I was bored and exhausted, and not to mention worried. I was worried why Joe was in her office for most of the day. I looked at my phone and saw it was one o’clock. I started heading to lunch walking through the hallway by myself. A few people were at their lockers or just wandering. I was just about to open the door to the cafeteria when I stopped by the loud speaker.

          “Charlotte Winchester, report to my office now. Charlotte Winchester.” A few people shot me odd looks. I shook it off and walked to the principal’s office. I reached her office and knocked on her door. I heard a faint ‘come in’, and so I did.