Chapter six: everything is alright

Three months passed. It was already December. Today was my last day of school before winter break and I still haven’t talked to Tara. I felt horrible but some part of me didn’t want to talk to her anyway. She just changed. I’m wondering if all of these years, it’s been an act; Maybe that’s how Megan and Ashley knew all of my secrets. I let the thought go when I heard Harry open his front door. He walked out. His hair was messy but I thought it was really cute. He was bundled in thick layers of clothes. He smiled when he saw me. We started walking and it was silent. Not an awkward silence, but I peaceful silence. I was shivering because I didn’t have a heavy coat on. Harry looked down at me and put his arm around me. I smiled at his simple gesture. We continued to walk through the snow. It was still silent until I heard a honking noise. I ignored it because I thought it was random until it continued to honk. I looked over and saw a red Porsche. The window rolled down and Tara was in the driver seat. I saw Megan and Ashley in the back. I tried to hide it but I knew my face had gotten red over anger.

          “Harry, I can give you a lift to school in my new ride.” Tara told Harry. Harry looked at me hesitantly. I kept my eyes on the ground.

“Um no thanks. I’m going to walk with Charlotte.” Harry said. I bit my lip trying to hold back a smile because of his decision.

          “Look Harry, I got this so we could ride to the Winter Ball in style tonight. Now get in… please.” Tara said clenching her teeth and tightening her jaw. Harry shook his head. Tara huffed and sped off.

          “Charlotte, so uh, who are you taking to Winter Ball?” Harry asked me.

“’I’m going stag.” I replied. He nodded.

          “Wait, what about your boyfriend who I still don’t know.” He said as he emphasized the last few words.

“Nah that would be weird.”

          “I can go with you.” he suggested.

“You have a girlfriend and plus it’s fine. I don’t mind going alone.” I replied.

          “I think I’m going to break up with Tara. She’s so possessive.” He said.

“Finally.” I mumbled. Harry smirked at me. We walked to school and got there after ten minutes. I got to homeroom and sat at my desk. Harry sat across from me. We talked for a little while, until Joe approached me.

          “Charlie, here’s a note from the office.”  Joe said. He handed me the note. I knew he was lying but he’s gotten better. Anyway, I opened the note.

Dear Charlie,

        I really want to go on a proper date with you so I reserved us seats at a small restaurant for Saturday evening. It’s two hours away so don’t worry, I’m sure no one will see us. Come to my apartment at six on Saturday & we’ll go. Dress nice love!

                                                        --Joe xx.

          I blushed at the note. I was so excited. I could feel Harry looking at me. I looked over at him and he raised his eyebrows waiting for an explanation on what the note said.

          “Oh, the principal was just wondering if I’m running track again.” I lied. He nodded and I kept smiling. Harry kept looking at me but I just kept shooting him short reassuring smiles.

          School passed quickly. I walked home and hopped in the shower. I quickly blow dried my hair. I started to curl my hair and put my make up on. I slid on my strapless red dress that was knee length. Next I put my black high heels on that matched the dark make up on my face. I looked at the time and realized the dance started a half an hour ago. I ran downstairs and went outside. I got in my car and drove to the ballroom in which the dance was being held at. I walked in and everyone was dancing and enjoying themselves. I slowly strolled in and finally spotted Harry. He smiled widely and walked up to me. I hugged him.

          “You look beautiful Charlotte.” Harry said with a cheeky grin. I blushed while looking at him.

“You don’t look too bad yourself Harry.” I told him. And honestly he looked great. He was wearing a black tux with a cute bow tie. His wavy brown hair way a little messy but it fit him.

          “So uh, where’s Tara?” I asked trying to sound excited. He shrugged.

“Probably taking selfies in the bathroom with those girls.”  He said putting his hands in his pockets.

          “Selfies in the bathroom?! That’s so seventh grade!” I chuckled. Tara was nowhere in sight, so Harry and I started dancing.

          About half an hour later of dancing, a slow song came on. Harry grinned and held out his hand. I was about to place my hand in his but suddenly, someone else put their hand in Harry’s. It was Tara. She gave me a fake smile and dragged him to the dance floor. I walked away and sat at a table by myself. I watched Harry dance with Tara and automatically I felt jealous. I was jealous because I couldn’t dance with my boyfriend. I just sat there quietly getting lost in my thoughts until I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder.

          “Having fun?” said the person. I recognized the voice, and immediately turned around. It was Joe and a smile was planted on my face.

          “I didn’t know you would be here.” I said surprised yet happy.

“I’m chaperoning...... so who were you dancing with earlier?” he asked scratching the back of his neck.

          “I was with Harry. You know, my best friend.” I emphasized the word ‘friend’ so he wouldn’t be jealous.

“Okay… just make sure he knows that.” Joe said with a hint of jealousy in his voice. Trying to avoid making the situation any more awkward, I changed the subject.

          “You know I can’t wait for tomorrow.” I told Joe. He was about to reply but he was interrupted by Harry.

          “Charlotte, let’s dance.” Harry grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the dance floor.  I looked back at Joe and he was nowhere in sight. I was now dancing with Harry and he seemed a little annoyed.

“Harry, what’s up? You look frustrated.”         

          Just saving you from Mr. Benzoli..... You know Mr. Benzoli always looks at you weird. I think he may like you as more than an, you know, student.” I chuckled and let the comment brush off his shoulders. We kept dancing together all night. I kept stealing a few glances over at Joe to make sure he wasn’t going to burst of jealousy.

          The night finally ended and Harry took me home. I got in, and it was quarter to one. I was too lazy to go upstairs so I crashed on the couch. I woke up thinking it was early. I just laid there excited about today’s date with Joe. I looked on my phone and realized the time said 4:30 p.m. I sprinted up the stairs and ran into the bathroom. I took a long shower and made sure I was 100% clean and smelling good. I then dried off as quickly as possible. I went in my room and sorted through my closet. I finally found a cute yellow dress that was about knee length. Next, I put my hair in messy up-do, and curled the pieces that fell out. I tried to keep my face looking as natural as possible so applied foundation, eyeliner, mascara, and lip balm. I slid on my black heels and grabbed my purse and put on a black trench coat. I walked downstairs. My mom wasn’t home so I texted her and told her I would be home late. I walked out of the house and drove to Joe’s apartment. I couldn’t wait for tonight to begin because I knew it was going to be an unforgettable night.