Chapter 6

"Oh my God! Today's the day," Scarlett exclaimed, slamming the door to our apartment complex.

      I looked up from my laptop just in time to see Scarlett pulling off her wig. Running her hands through her natural blonde—almost white locks, she planted herself next to me on the couch.

      "You know," I said, setting my laptop aside. "I still don't understand why you have to hide your real hair color like that."

      She frowned. "You know why. I told you before, I don't like it when people stare—"

      "—I know. But, being albino isn't something you should be ashamed off, Scar. I would kill to have your eyes." Everyone just assumed her violet eyes were just contacts since she'd dyed her white eyebrows to match her black wig, and wore fake eyelashes to cover up her white eyelashes every time she goes out. But, besides her unusual pale skin tone, you could hardly tell she's albino when she had her makeup and dark wig on.

      "And you have no idea how much I would kill to have your blue eyes," she said. "But, enough about that, let's move on to more important things! Guess what today is?"

      I sighed. Here we go again. Every since she'd made it her life's mission to get Aaiden to fall for her and forget about his crush, she hasn't stopped talking about the auction since Sunday. And now that it was finally Friday, her "perfect" plan can officially start.

      "It's auction day."

      "That's right!" she cheered, smiling widely. "By tonight, I'll finally have Aaiden Airheart in my arms, and in exactly one month, I'll have him literally begging on his knees to be mine."

      "Aren't you thinking a little bit extreme, here?"

      "Mmh, let me think about that . . ." she said, while she tapped her finger against her cheek, pursing her bottom lip out. I rolled my eyes at her, as she deliberately prolonged answering my question. "Nope, I don't think so," she said, finally. "That boy will be mine."

      "Whatever you say, Scar." I patted her shoulder. "Did you make sure your dad sent you, your money yet?"

      She grinned, pulling out her phone. "Yup. The transaction was finally approved this morning."

      I nodded. "Remember, Scar. Do not, I repeat do not blow away all of your money for Aaiden. Keep it reasonable."

      "Don't worry, Mom. I will."

      I crossed my arms across my chest, leaning back against my seat. "I'm serious. I know you really want to win, but please don't spend more than a quarter of a million."

      She held her hand up. "I make no promises."

      I narrowed my eyes at her. "Scarlett."

      "Chill, Aubrey," she copied my tone. "If you're so worried about me why don't you come to the auction tonight?"

      "And be in the middle of that chaos?" I raised my brows at her. "No, thank you."

      "Oh, come on!" She pouted. "It's not that bad. They have cake, you know . . ."

      "Tempting, but no."

      "Fine." She sighed, pushing her body off the couch, standing up. "Since you're not going, at least help me get ready."

      I looked up at her, as she smoothed down her uniform. "What am I? Your personal assistant?"