Chapter 18

Rage.

      That's all I could see as I saw my reflection in the mirror. It was as if my frustration and anger were compiling in the rings of my irises, waiting to explode. I watched, eyes fully open, cheeks red, and posture hunched over.

      "Scarlett," I muttered through clenched teeth. "I have great news," I said with a smile, knowing fully well she couldn't see me from her room. I was hoping the smile on my face could project its soft properties so my voice didn't sound as harsh. If my voice was remotely off, Scarlett will definitely be suspicious.

      "Yeah?" she called back.

      "Um... I think some girl in your major just posted on Facebook saying that your Pathophysiology test on Wednesday is cancelled."

      I smirked when I heard the sound of a door being ripped open. '

      Three. Thump.

       Two. Thump.

       One.

       Scarlett appeared, her head just peeking through the entrance doorway. Her hand held the doorknob, while a smile stretched across her face. It took all my willpower to not tackle her then and there. Especially since she was still smiling after announcing that to Aaiden! What kind of a friend was she?

      "Really?" she asked, taking a step forward. "Why was it cancelled—"

       "—because I'm going to fucking kill you before then!"

       Her eyes widened as I ran forward. My hand nearly touched her shoulder before the door slammed shut. I reached for the knob, only to find it stuck. No matter how much I pushed against the door, it wasn't budging.

       "Scarlett." I hit the door with all my strength. I heard a gasp when the wooden frame shook. "Open this door right now."

       "Aaiden, help! There's a psycho killer in the house."

       I rolled my eyes. It wasn't like I was going to kill her. I just wanted to talk to her in a rational but violent matter from my end. Was that really too much to ask for?

        "Just open the stupid door."

       I waited a second, but heard nothing. It wasn't until I tried twisting the handle again, that the door opened. But, instead of Scarlett, I saw Aaiden. He stood there with heavy awkwardness. As I take in his dark eyes, he held my gaze and gave me a shy smile.

      My body froze when he reached his hand out, and laid a hand on my shoulder. My cheeks reddened knowing how much he knew.

       "Um...I may not know much about this ah—" His eyes shifted towards the ground, "—girl stuff, but I'll buy your stuff—" He paused again, the hand on my shoulder no longer there, "—ah...I mean products, so don't be mad at Scarlett for doing that. You know how she is."

       I took a deep breath, silently staring into his eyes. It was soft and warm, urging me to forgive Scarlett. Almost instantly, the anger was wiped clean from my body just as fast as it started.

      "You're actually going to buy them for me?"

       His cheeks tinted pink as he nodded. "You need them, don't you?"

       I stood there at a loss for words. For the past five years, I never actually had someone else buy me feminine products. It was always me getting them. While most girls had their mothers buy them pads or tampons, I didn't. My mom was away when it happened, and I was too embarrassed to tell my dad about it. So, for someone else to buy me tampons, even if it was Aaiden made the smile on my face even more prominent. The fact that he was willing to go at all made it even more special.