Chapter 20

Chubby cheeks.

Round face.

Large stomach.

Even the frown . . .

From my understanding—mostly from my study sessions with Scarlett—Cushing Syndrome causes your body to have abnormally high levels of hormones called cortisol.

If it wasn't for this so-called "cortisol", Aaiden wouldn't be Aaiden. As a child, his face wouldn't have been so round and his upper torso wouldn't have been so plump. But, at the same time he wouldn't be standing in front of me, blushing like crazy just because he was embarrassed.

Call me selfish, but I'm glad the disorder made him the way he is. I couldn't imagine Aaiden turning into a conceited, arrogant bastard, unlike that sorry excuse for a human being. Just thinking about it, made my blood boil and my skin crawl with disgust.

"What's with that stupid face?" Kai asked with a click of his tongue. "Don't tell me you're mad at Aaiden just because he didn't tell you?"

I rolled my eyes. Like I'll ever be mad at Aaiden.

"I'll take that silence as a yes—"

"—I'm not fucking mad at anyone. I just thought of something unpleasant. That's all."

"Geez. Someone's on her fucking period," he said with a snort.

My cheeks flushed red. "Just leave, already."

The corners of his lips curved up. I knew I was in trouble the moment he closed the distance between us. My body stayed motionless when he blew against my ear. "Make me."

The way he said it made my stomach churned and my body shook with hatred. It reminded me too much of him.

I shoved my hands against his chest. "You're unbelievable!"

He staggered back a few steps, but managed to catch himself. The look on his face held pure amusement as he smirked. "Unbelievable, huh? I didn't think your little crush on me was that big."

"That's not what I meant," I said grounding my teeth together, "and you know it."

"Just admit it, Aubrey," he said with a lopsided grin. "And I'll make you feel just that."

"You're—" I started to yell when I heard Aaiden's voice.

I turned around and saw him mumbling quietly to himself. When I took a step forward, I saw his dark brown eyes, glossy and red. They were filled with obvious pain, while his hands laid limply on his sides.

"A-au-brey—"

"Aaiden. What's wrong?"

"Is it because of me?" he asked in a low voice. "Something unpleasant... I-I didn't want it. I never wanted it. I didn't think the disorder would make me look so disgusting. I'm sorry, I didn't think—"

"—you're not disgusting, Aaiden!" Something in my voice must've snapped him out of it, because the moment those words came out of my mouth, he paused in his rambles and held my gaze. The grief surged through me with every breath I took as I saw the small amount of liquid glistening in his eyes. Knowing that he was hurting because of me, that he was remembering his painful past because of me, broke me. "Aaiden, you're not disgusting, okay? I really wasn't thinking about you. Someone..." I held my breath, and bit my lips when its face popped inside my head, "...someone, I shouldn't be thinking of came to mind for a few seconds..." He looked down the moment I touched his hand. "And, I don't give a crap about your past or disorder. You could be 300 pounds right now, and I would still find you adorable."